can you recommend fluorescent fixtures

I want to improve dark lighting in my basement, which currently has 5 bare incandescent bulbs with old porcelain fixtures.

I'm not very handy--electrically "challenged"--but would like to try replacing these myself with larger fluorescents.

Unfortunately the ceiling is low and I don't have access to the joists, because the previous owner covered the entire ceiling with half-inch oak planks (except where the incandescent fixtures protrude). I would prefer not to remove.

Is it easy to replace the standard incandescent fixtures with flush flourescent fixtures? Any particular type/style better than another?

Thanks for advice.

Reply to
revheck

It may cause a problem with headroom, but for cheap light with no wiring needed, some cheap corded shop lights screwed to the plank ceiling, and plugged into a decent quality of bulb-to-outlet converters, will be the simplest. Removing the the porcelin fixtures, and replacing them with a duplex outlet in a 4" octogon cover, would be a better solution, but would require knowing a little about wiring. Next cheapest solution would be to replace the porcelin with kitchen ceiling fixtures that are designed for low headroom- the light sockets go sideways so you can use the curlicue florescent bulbs. If ceiling is really low, there aren't any great solutions that don't require cutting the wood ceiling, and having some idea what you are doing. Retrofitting flush fixtures in a hard ceiling is often not trivial- anything surface-mounted will be much easier for a newbie.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

I think I could do this. Are there fixtures that fit right over this, or do I still need to use a corded shop light with a plug?

Thanks!

Reply to
revheck

Try a few compact flourescents the screw in type that replace regular bulbs, some out put 160w and take only 40 watts. For more light dual tube flourescent T12 40 watt output 320 watts. The fixtures you can buy with cords attached for apx 6$ , just get a screw in adaptor, you will have lights in 5 minutes.

Reply to
m Ransley

Just for fun, get the brightest (highest wattage) spiral type screw in CF (compact fluorescent) lamp you can find and try it out. Does that take care of the problem?

Other than that, try a shop light, but unlike the others suggested, I suggest you try a quality model. The cheap ones are really cheap and do not function as well on a number of areas.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan