Can you recess a stove/oven and other kitchen remodeling questions (redoux).

Hi. We have a a very difficult kitchen in that it is not particularly big (11'10"x14") and has 5 doorways. We're thinking about closing off a door that leads to a small landing/porch and the backyard (another door to the basement also leads to the back), but now I'm thinking that maybe we can maybe keep the opening and enclose it in order to put our stove/oven in the space created. We might need to tear out the landing that is there now and make a more solid base (I'm not sure about that), but we could easily run gas and electric lines through the wall from the basement and vent out the back of the new wall we create and it would mean that the stove won't stick out into the room. Any idea if it is safe to have a gas stove/oven in this kind of enclosed space? We have 10 foot ceilings and the current door opening is about 29 inches wide by 8 feet tall.

Thanks Tim

Reply to
cle63

Teo2006

THe only issue is keeping burnable things a reasonable distance from the stove surface. Find the installation instructions for a similar stove, and see what they say, but it shouldn't be a problem.

You're talking about a 3'x5' or smaller porch and stoop, not the sort of porch that could be enclosed and you extend whole kitchen wall right? Does doing this actually gain you any *USEABLE* space? Because you have to leave the space in front of the stove clear so you can get to it.. so why not just put the stove in what would otherwise be the accessway, and save yourself some effort and money?

Or bit the bullet and replace the porch with a walk-in pantry that's say... 6x10? That should be much more of a deal than enclosing the porch in the first place.

(is a pantry a storage area or an occupiable space?)

--goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

Hi. Yes, this is what I was refering to. The door to the backyard that is inside the kitchen and on the same level as it leads to a

3.5'x6' landing and stoop. I had thought that we could remove this if necessary and build something similar in size, but that would be basically an enclosed "closet" for the stove that is vented. There'd be about an extra inch on either side of the oven. It seems like the 8 feet or so would be enough head room. The landing is in an "L" that is formed by the point where the back of our house juts out about 5 feet or so and for the length of the kitchen. I guess I was thinking that it would eliminate the oven sticking out into an already crowded room. I thought about putting it in an island, but figured that the venting would be more difficult than if it were against a wall. I don't think we could make it much deeper, as the door to the backyard that is on the ground level is only about 3.5 feet away from the current door. If I may, the room looks a bit like this (though a bit out of scale): 11'10" - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - l (current location of oven, l l probable new spot for sink in a new counter) l l l 23" l l l current sink l.............. l probable fridge/cabinets : l 32" : l : l landing : l ................_ _ _ _ l l l l 21" l table l l

31"

l l l l l 22" l l

31"

current fridge location

There's a tall window near the left corner of the back wall to the left of where the oven is now and we are thinking about putting in a wider but shorter window on the back wall, with the sink below it in wall-length counter with shelves underneath. The other problem with the room is that there is so little counter space, so we are hoping that will help. I'm tearing up the old floor in order to sister some joists to level and putting in a new floor, as well as putting in an I-beam to stop a sag. We're going to take advantage of that timing to rethink where the water and gas lines can go. My wife wants to take the wall down opposite the back wall (where the fridge is now), opening the space up to the living room and putting some kind of cabinet/island thing there. It's not a load bearing wall, so that's not a problem, but it is a 100+ Victorian and I like the idea of keeping some of the integrity of the house intact while making it functional.

ANY, help or suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

Best, T

Goedjn wrote:

Reply to
cle63