Can you really sleep with a Window AC unit on?

Page 2 of 2
They don't call these "window shakers" for nothing. The reality is that after a while you will take comfort in the sound and you will sleep better ... if you don't obsess about it. It is like rain on a tin roof or the sound of the surf.
On 27 Jun 2004 14:56:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote:

True. About 2 days and then its sweet sleep thru it all.
I knocked out some brick and stuck a 5600 btu window unit in my bedroom wall last year at this time. I just slept 8 hours last night (got up once to pee) with the unit making all of the normal noises: Compressor cycling on and off pinging water and fan blade sounds gurgling sounds of refrigerant vibration on wall Air thru vent sound Fan shuts completely off for 10 minutes once temperature is reached.
I paid $200 for the high efficiency (11.0 eer) unit and saved that much in electricity in 2 months while cooling my1950sf home . I'm now up over $800 in savings for the year and we are plenty comfortable.
Food for thought. I took great pride in designing central air to be very quiet but I had a customer that moved from the city to a ranch setting then he complained it was too quiet and couldn't sleep at nights. That told me to let my customer know about that and does he want some noise.
Don't tell me what I can understand, tell me what I can't mis-understand (Gen. Douglas McArthur)! No matter what you do you are a problem solver....what do you do? Arthur, Website: www.arthurhewett.com Email: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

after a

you
So I'm letting a terrible secret out....
We used to live in a house that didn't have central AC. My bride threatened divorce many times.
I finally got a small, 6K window shaker from my sister. It ran almost 24/7, the house was construction so poor. Finally, the compressor went out.
Since it was with in the 5 year sealed system Sears warranty, I toted it back to sister and she took it back and got the new compressor installed.
When we got it back it howled! Man, it was noisy! (No, Stormy was still ripping off drunks at this time). It seemed like it was hitting LRA every time it started!.
The first can was quiet and the second was no where near quiet, even though the isolators were good.
I sold that sucker quick when we moved out of that house

heavy
the
BTU
NoMailPlease wrote:

Think earplugs. Fifty cents.
Not really. Some window-AC are noisy, some are not. That depends on the models.
I have two window-AC units in two bedrooms. One is noisy, another one is quiet. The older one is noisy, and the newer one is quiet. The older one comes with dialing knob for control, it doesn't have a remote nor digital display; the new one use soft-touch-flat-mounted-button for control (not sure what the correct termilogy for that kind of buttons), and it has a remote and a small digital display. I believe both are from Sears (Kenmore -- spelling?). I consider both are slightly underpowered for the size of rooms that they need to cool.
Not sure what the conclusion that I can get from this experience: May be the lesson is that new models may tend to be quieter than old models?
If you are interested, I can give you the model number of the quiet one. But keep in mind that the window AC is slightly underpowered for a 10'x17' bed room (south facing, right under the roof without attic). I used to have one from Panasonic which is also quiet; I am under the impression that window-ACs from Panasonic are all very good but they can be expensive and hard to find.
Or, you can ask around to see if anyone can recommend a quiet one for you.
Jay Chan
I always sleep better, no matter how noisy the unit, than I do laying there in a pool of my own sweat all night.
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 03:53:54 GMT, "NoMailPlease"

Is it wired correctly? Back when I was learning to do electrical work. I accidentally wired a 220 Air Cond. to a 440 line in a factory office. Amazingly the unit did not burn up, it was just extremely noisy. The unit was returned and replaced with another, and that one was also very noisy. That's when my boss discovered my goofup. I got bitched out, the thing was connected to 220, and it was quiet. After that, I learned to meter the mains before hooking up something in industrial buildings.
If this is in your home, you doubtfully have 440, but you didn't hook a 110 unit to 220 ?????
I sleep very well with the window AC running, thank you
wrote:

insanely
buzzing
heavy
the
BTU
Consumer's Report says that the Kenmore 72059 is a Best Buy with good noise level. I'm very much considering it. Anybody already got one?
wrote:

it
put
opening

Before you get all excited those models in consumer rpts many times are no longer avail. Best of Luck
Not the 72059, but the 73069 Low Profile.
We've been thru numerous ac units and it had become a kind of silent mission for me to find an acceptable bedroom solution which is what drew me into this thread. The 73069 is the answer! We paid ~$160 thanks to the efforts of My Wife the Shark. It retails for $200. But it'd still be worth it.
What sent me to Sears (after first reading the Consumer Reports article) was the feedback at eOpinions.com http://www.epinions.com/pr-Kenmore_73069_Air_Conditioner/display_~reviews
As quiet as they say and very effective in our 12'x14' bedroom.
C.
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 05:54:16 -0400, "Michael Baugh"

Drink enough booze before bed, and you WILL be able to sleep.........
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 03:53:54 GMT, "NoMailPlease"

Ear plugs?