Can you really sleep with a Window AC unit on?

Page 1 of 2
I bought a Maytag M7X05F2B 5400BTU window unit this week and installed it into my bedroom window. It does a great job of cooling but it is insanely noisy. When the unit is just in fan mode its very quiet. But, when put into AC mode, the compressor is very, very loud. Also, there is a buzzing noise every few minutes that is stopped by tapping the unit. Now, I've never had an AC, are window units usually noisy (mostly from heavy vibration)?
There is no way that I can sleep with it turned on, so I've been opening another window while sleeping. My dream would be to have the AC on all the time but this noisy vibration is too much.
I've leveled the unit just like the manual says but it doesn't seem to matter. Do I just have a dud? Also, if I just put it on something completely soft, like the bed, and turn it on, its still noisy. The compressor seems to just hammer away.
Are window ACs usually pretty noisy? If not, what's a good, quiet 6000 BTU brand?
Thanks
On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 03:53:54 GMT, "NoMailPlease"

Lowes has some super quiet high efficiency units with remote controls that are under $150.
Bob
NoMailPlease writes:

It is noisy because it is efficient.

You are kiddin the poor guy right?...cause if you are not, you would be wrong..
First, Kinch is full of it , efiiency has nothing to do with it. Consumer reports didnt rate Matag. But you may have a bad unit, best is to go hear them, they are all a bit different.
CBHVAC writes:

I am correct. As a general principle, higher efficiency requires higher air flows and more direct air paths, which is to say, bigger fans and more fan noise. Of course there are other design factors involved in the noise levels, but efficiency is always a trade-off for quiet.

You are wrong.
First, in order to get the higher airflows, you have to have larger paths for the air to flow..in a window unit, this is a simple thing to accomplish. Second, they also tend to use a smaller compressor, in relation to the condensor, and evap size and capacitys. This automatically will lower the sound from the compressor. Third, they also tend to use a splash ring on the condensor motor fan shaft further lowering the amount of noise from the compressor, by further lowering the head.
The noise in relation to the higher efficency is bunk. The noise comes in to play when you see how cheaply the units are made. Period.
By your reasoning, an 18SEER central air unit should wake the neighbors....yet, I have the most silent one on the market....not talking most silent 18 SEER, talking the most silent unit. I know you were talking window units...but you are wrong. Period. Noise in general, from a window unit, is from the construction of the unit, and where the unit is placed. Nothing more, nothing less.
CBHVAC writes:

Between you and thermodynamics, I'll believe the latter.
Wrong Richard Higher efficiency does not mean more noise ,
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:05:18 -0500, Richard J Kinch

No, you are wrong.
Noise is a product of the design in addition to quality. Stop by your home depot and lowes and you will see that many of the japanese models are super quiet AND super efficient. They cost more too.
Bob

This sounds like the start of a WAR !!!!!
NoMailPlease writes:

Not being able to hear your unit, I can't say if it is noisier than others or defective in any way. Yes, window units are much noisier than central air. After a night or two you get u sed to it. On a very hot and humid night, I'd do better sleeping with a heavy metal band paying in a sheet metal shop than I would in a pool of sweat.
Do your neighbors have window ACs? If so, take a listen to theirs and see if it is a similar noise level. If so, invest in ear plugs. If not, it is possible yours has a problem. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

I understand how higher efficiency could (all other factors being equal) conceivably translate into more noise, but I don't believe that's the situation in this case.
Since to OP says it's quiet in fan-only mode, I'm inclined to think that one of the refrigerant lines within the unit is not routed correctly and is vibrating on something inside the unit, or the compressor itself is vibrating against something.
The bottom line is that the he needs to take it back and exchange it for another.

What he needs to do, if thats the case, is what all techs are SUPPOSED to do when they install any system...PTAC, window, or central...
Loosen the compressor bolts one turn...
CBHVAC wrote:

Yes, but 5500 Btu window units are not supposed to be opened by the consumer for normal installation. And Wal Mart does not have a lot of techs to go out for the service calls. Sure, the factory may have over tightened the bolts or bent a line, or a baffle could have shifted from a bang during shipping. If it was a slide out chassis, I'd say give your idea a try, but consumer units should not need intervention. Take it back.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
when i was a kid we never had a/c either... but you could not sleep with the sweat running down your back until you would pass out... now as an adult i can do with out the a/c(central unit) but a little noise is better than no a/c any time........
Wall/Window units have always been noisy in comparison to a central ac. As you have discovered they all should be investigated before you buy to see where the tolerance level maybe but still when it is installed in the home unfortunately it could even be louder. Even back in the 60's most of our wall unit clients finally went to central and that was one of the reasons why. Some are quieter than others but they all make a noise. Sorry I couldn't help.
Don't tell me what I can understand, tell me what I can't mis-understand (Gen. Douglas McArthur)! No matter what you do you are a problem solver....what do you do? Arthur, Website: www.arthurhewett.com Email: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Some are quieter than others. Sharp advertises their line as "library quiet", pretty efficient. I don't have one.
http://www.amroyal.com/sections/product.asp?PID 7&Brand=Sharp