Can You Paint Electric Baseboards?

Mom's "powder room" has a rusty small baseboard, and I'm in the process of fixing this room. (The toilet is literally wandering in a circular motion!!!) Anyway, do I have to replace the baseboard, or is it safe to use paint to get rid of the unsightly rust?

Reply to
tioga0630

You can paint it.

Reply to
Mikepier

try Rustoleum type of paint

Reply to
Kathy

circular

You'll want to sand smooth the rusty areas, and then use a rust-inhibiting primer (or rust converting paint) and then topcoat with whatever finish paint you want to use.

RicodJour

Reply to
nospambob

It might be easier to paint replacements. Rust removal is time consuming and difficult. It just comes back in a year or two anyway.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

As long as you clean the rust off first!

Reply to
toller

I spent a few hours with a wire brush cleaning the rust off a boat hoist three years ago, before repainting it. I didn't expect much, since it sits in a lake all year long, but it is still rust free. (the part actually in the water was aluminum, this is the gear housing.)

Replace or clean is question of whether you would rather spend the money or the time. In my case I saved a lot of money.

Reply to
toller