can you identify this old tool?

I dug this up and have no clue as to what it may be:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/royapples/Unknowntool003.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/royapples/Unknowntool001.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b97/royapples/mysterytool003.jpg
RBM remove this wrote:

Not a tool. It is a fitting that went on each end of a 'single tree'. The 'traces' or 'tugs' were attached to to it when hitching up.
Harry K
RBM remove this wrote:

The pictures are very dark on my monitor, and I can't get a good look at the hook end, but I think it's some sort of yoke hardware. A pole is slipped through the ring and the load is attached to the hook. Whether it's meant for two men or two oxen would depend on its size.
RBM wrote:

singletree hitch

I don't believe this is a singletree hitch. Here is a picture of a singletree hitch.
http://www.oldranchhand.com/stuff.html
It certainly looks like a handle of some sort would go through the metal ring

snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

If you were familiar with farming and horses you would know it is a single tree hitch. They came in different shapes, but all served the same purpose to hitch the horse to the vehicle. Jack

Agreed but the picture is only a component of a singletree hitch. The wooden extention is missing.
What would the wooden extension do? or what would it attach to?

I could not find the picture I wanted to post but this one will do.
http://www.reedfarmstead.com/html/single_tree_hook.htm
The small one in B&W. The horse's butt is in the South position. The tool to be pulled is in the North position. The part depicted in the first post in this thread is the metal part at the end (E & W) of the wooden stick.
The harness the horse is wearing is attached to the hooks at the end of the stick. The big hook in the middle is attached to the item being pulled.
This illustration is a single tree. One horse doing all the work. A double tree is just two of these in tandem using two horses,
It has been a long time since I have seen a horse pull a plow. :)
Colbyt
Thanks, I get it now. When you were talking about a "single tree hitch" I'm thinking something to tie the horse to a tree. Why not just "tie the horse to the tree"

That's what I thought as soon as I saw it. They come in different configurations, but the old round wooden singletrees had one of these at each end. Brings back memories...
Here's a web page with one illustrated near the bottom.
http://www.terryswagonworks.com /
Morvin
On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 10:34:50 -0400, "RBM" <rbm2(remove

Pure guess here, if it has to be a tool, then I would guess a 'log roller'.
Example: http://www.urlbee.com?9661
Just a SWAG,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com
Tom The Great wrote:

That's a cant hook. My idea was more along these lines: http://cspoutdoors.stores.yahoo.net/ditica.html

It has been about 45 years since I have seen one. I agree that it is part of a hitch whether from a single or not I can't really say.
Colbyt
Looks like a pole hanger. Wooden pole goes through the cylindrical hole, pot or bucket with bail hangs from the hook. Each end of the pole carried by one person to share the load.
On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 10:34:50 -0400, "RBM" <rbm2(remove

The thing is pretty small, end to end around six inches, the sleeve that a pole may go through is about 1 1/2 inches in diameter and is tapered

RBM (remove this) wrote:

My vote would be for a spreader. Similar to a singletree, but used when butchering farm animals. The animals rear legs would go through the loops and the pin would pierce between tendon and bone. Then the spreader would raise the animal off the ground for butchering.

That is a distinct possibility. I only attended one butchering as child and was sheltered from most of it. So I have never seen one up close.
Those darn cracklings were right tasty. I don't think I will ever forget just how tasty fresh fried pig skin really was. Makes the stuff in the bag taste like month old bread. :)
Colbyt
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

We just used a single tree. Perfect lenght to spread the legs just the right distance.
Harry K