Can you ID this hose buried in the ground

There is an area of my yard that gets lots of shade so the grass has departed. Today I saw the end of a hose poking out of the ground. I pulled on it thinking it was maybe a short piece of trash left over from when the house was built (in 1984) but this is a long hose buried in the ground.

It's leading _away_ from the house and the exposed end is cut and clogged with dirt. It's gray in color and about 3/4" diameter. There is no gas smell. I've lived here for 17 years and this is the first I've seen of such a thing.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

Flax

Leading away from the house in the front yard, back yard, side yard??? What is the blob in the middle? What is at the other end of where the hose is pointing, Mars, Venus, an outbuilding, street, etc. How about some usefull information!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann
.

*It looks to me like liquidtight flexible conduit. Are there any letters or words stamped on the exterior?
Reply to
John Grabowski

Front yard. The blob in the middle is some kind of union but clogged with dirt. The hose disappears underground in the direction of the street. It's a residential development, not a rural area.

Reply to
Flax

Where's the water service? Was lot previously occupied prior to this residence being built.

I'd venture a temporary/prior water/gas service abandoned in place when final installed.

The image at the link is no longer there so can't tell much.

Again, details unprovided would help.

--

Reply to
dpb

Its it flexible plastic pipe and not garden hose, as someone said it might be some temporary hook up.

Reply to
ransley

"Flax" wrote in

Looks like electrical conduit to me, but I'm not an electrician so I don't see that stuff often. Could have been temp electric service when the house was being built. Is it leading to anything electrical? Like a pole or a neighbor's house where they may have borrowed electric during construction?

When the house across the street from me was being built, the builder used my water and electric. In return, I got all sorts of favors like a couple cords of firewood, a plumbing repair, lawn fill, tree trimmed. It probably cost me $10 tops.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It's city water, not a well. I don't know about the history of the lot before the house was built.

It still works for me. Are you behind a proxy that blocks photobucket maybe?

Reply to
Flax

None that I can see after I cleared away as much dirt as possible. Thanks to everyone for the info.

Reply to
Flax

It just leads toward the street. It sort of points toward the water meter but it would have to take a left turn underground to actually hit the meter exactly. Maybe it is some old hookup that erosion has revealed. There are no wires inside and I can't believe anyone would leave a gas line in such a state, so I guess the only choice left is water.

Reply to
Flax

Looks like an old corroded copper water supply line.

Reply to
LSMFT

There is an area of my yard that gets lots of shade so the grass has departed. Today I saw the end of a hose poking out of the ground. I pulled on it thinking it was maybe a short piece of trash left over from when the house was built (in 1984) but this is a long hose buried in the ground.

It's leading _away_ from the house and the exposed end is cut and clogged with dirt. It's gray in color and about 3/4" diameter. There is no gas smell. I've lived here for 17 years and this is the first I've seen of such a thing.

Any thoughts on what it might be?

------------

Could this have been something for a pool? Intake or discharge?

Reply to
The Henchman

Look up 'Call Before You Dig' and give them a call. They can ID it.

Reply to
A. Baum

Could there have been a gas-fired yard light that has since been removed ? Any neighbors still around who are original owners to ask ?? I once owned a home in Ill. (1971) that had such, and I know it was removed sometime in the 80's.

Reply to
Reed

Looks like a temporary electrical conduit used during house construction. When they finished, they yanked the electrical wires out and left the conduit as it was covered with soil and too laborious to dig up. Scrap what you can access and chop off the rest where it leaves your property. No big deal. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

"Flax" wrote in news:g2ABo.130099$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-05.dc.easynews.com:

All anyone here can do is guess, as they have been. My guess:

3/4"...water supply. Maybe one that froze at some point? If you can determine it's polybutylene, get rid of the evidence that it was even there at one time regardless if there is any currently in service.
Reply to
Red Green

Looks like underground sprinkler hose??

Reply to
clare

"...gray in color..."?

Reply to
Oren

If it is not pressurized, I'd guess construction remnant or just a piece of trash that got buried during leveling.

Steve

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Learn how to care for a friend.

Steve B

ts of shade so the grass has

That would get my vote. The junction fittings are consistent with gas rather than electrical conduit.

Reply to
Red