Can you get a prepaid phone with GPS

Page 1 of 2
After looking at countless phones, the only thing I have managed to do is eliminate Page Plus. I am told that, although it does do Georgia, the service is poor. It is a shame too. I was sold on the 12 package that does 250 min and 10M data.
I was going to go with an expensive phone so I would be able to use all the features of a smart phone, but since I don't use them often, I was hoping to get a cheap package.
Do any of the prepaid packages offer limited smart phone features? One of the Page Plus phones I looked at said GPS. Would GPS be considered part of a data plan?
On 8/29/2012 2:57 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

GPS is a separate radio that looks at the satellites. You don't need any data plan for that. The real problem is, what can you do with the gps data? If you need to find yourself on a map, then you need web access.
I have a Palm Treo 850 with GPS. I use it as a PDA without any phone service. There used to be a software package from Mapopolis. It runs directly on the phone/pda in Windows Mobile or PalmOS. So, I can tell where I am from GPS without a data plan. Mapopolis left the consumer business. Don't know if there are alternatives today.
You can also do the same with most any bluetooth PDA/Phone with a mapping application using a separate bluetooth GPS receiver.
There are other services that imply GPS, but are actually location services that estimate where you are from the cell towers you can see. I think google took it further by looking at wifi hosts you can see.

I was thinking GPS would work like it does on my nephew's smart phone. It will tell you where to turn while driving. I am guessing GPS may mean less. Finding out where I am standing is of no use.

Mapping requires data plan. The GPS alone can give you lattitude and longitude, and in some cases altitude. Smart phone apps are available that will make it into a speedometer and rate of climb indicator without data plan.
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 22:03:58 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Nav/map apps are available that don't need a data plan. Of course they need a couple GB to store the databases.

You are HERE.

Huh? Page Plus uses the Verizon network. Verizon covers Georgia quite well (upgrading from 3G to 4G now).

GPS or navigation? GPS is built in. Navigation requires the network. Sorta. Aftermarket stand-alone nav packages are available.
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 20:04:12 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Yeah That is the word I was looking for.......navigation.
On 8/29/2012 5:20 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

Ask yourself why you NEED GPS??????? If you just wanna get from here to there, figger it out online before you go and print a map or take notes.
GPS shines when you get lost or confused or detoured or change plans. If you travel by car, get a cheapo self-contained GPS appliance. They're small enough to fit in your pocket if needed. Costs less than the data plan you'll need for something rarely used. Don't leave it visible in the car. The broken window costs way more than the GPS they stole.
GPS is of little use when you don't control the means of transport. The bus driver ain't gonna go where you want. And if it's too far to walk, you don't need GPS in your pocket.
There are always exceptions.

...and then read them while you're driving.

GPS units today aren't worth enough to bother stealing.

Who said otherwise? BTW, you've never heard of a transfer?

Good advice.
Although sometimes they only have wired in the room and wireless in the lobby/lounge/restaurant.
Because my plane was late and I missed the connection, they gave me an a day, 10AM to 5PM, at the Heathrow Hilton and I requested Internet in my room for the laptop, which was no problem and no charge, except it meant the room had a shower and no bathtub! And iirc somehow, and now I can't imagine how, it took me more time to use the wired than the wireless downstairs would have taken. . I'd never used wired with this laptop before, so maybe that had something to do with it.
On 8/30/2012 9:32 AM, micky wrote:

I also find that if there's both wired and wireless that the wired is faster because so few people are using it.
When we bought a tablet we at first were going to buy an iPad to support the local economy, but it had too many drawbacks as something to take on trips, the biggest ones being the lack of a USB port or memory card slot. Not a problem when you're at home, or when you have another computer to dock with, but a big problem when traveling with only the tablet.

I travelled to europe with my Blackberry tablet and the limitations convinced me to travel with the laptop from now on.

Yeah, about $30, IIRC.
On 8/29/12 4:57 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

These might help: http://www.prepaidreviews.com / http://www.phonescoop.com / http://www.cellguru.net/index.htm
Happy huntin'.
On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 19:11:17 -0500, Dean Hoffman

One of the good things about the Internet is so much information out there.
One of the bad things about the Internet is there is so much information out there.
I am getting information overload with these phones.

And sorting out the good is like sorting fly-shit from pepper.

I'm still not sure of the details but you can get a lot more phones on prepaid than the phone companies seem to suggest.
I just bought a Huawei some number, called a Fusion Phone, with Android. I'm not particularly recommending it, becuase there don't seem to be a lot of Apps for it. OTOH, maybe I don't know how to look.
But I bring it up because ATT sells it as a Gophone, online and in stores (or !25 at Walmart, but 100 at walmart.com). This comes with a setup for data, etc.
But I bought mine used, and took the sim card from my very cheap prepaid gophone (I thought all gophones were prepaid, and maybe they were when I first got one, but they're not anymore iiuc) and put the sim card in my new phone, turned off the Data, in the settings, and now I have no Internet, except, get thks, whereever there is wifi. which is a lot of places these days and growing. And it seems that wifi is faster than cellphone data anyhow.
Ther3e is also a settting to turn GPS on and off, and I have the vague aidea that GPS might be satelite and not cellphone data.
(That confuses me however. Using the Android Maps app, last Sunday I was in a rural area, too far from any house to get wifi unless their wifi is a whole lot more powerful than my brother's etc., and it showed me where I was, on a map with no street names, but wchich did have a state highway number. A few days later I was in the city, but probably also not near wifi, and it gave me the location from sunday, and when I got home, where i have wifi, it still gave the location from Sunday. I think GPS is turned on but I' ntot sure and the phone is upstairs.)
In fact on the ATT newsgroup, they pointed me to an ATT page which sells if I have the prepaid smart phone, I CANT buy data. (I was afraid I would use it accidentally, as I did with phone number 2.)

Another interesting thing is that I bought my phone on ebay from a guy in Louisiana, and that rural road where i first got my location is about 15 miles north of my house and I had never been there before, but somehow it had a map of the area in t he phone.
I thought the maps came from the web but the location came from satellites.
Is there anyway I dl'd the maps when I was at home 15 miles away? I looked at the Maps app but didn't do much. When I first looked at it, it said I was at my home, with a map.
I only have 2 gig, btw.
Of course it didn't give directions to any place. I think that is called Navigate, and when I go there, it wants me to agree to something, so I leave.

Ok............I was ready to go with this: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/att/fusion-blue-prepaid.html#fbid=pk8R8DDCHt1
I did a chat with ATT (Amber). Amber said this phone does GPS navigation. It is something that I probably won't use, but I would rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
She said that to use the GPS I had to get a 5$ per month data package, but I only had to do that on the months I use the GPS. She also said that I could get a 15 dollar card and use it in a month. I don't think that is true. The ATT says the package that comes with this phone is 25 bucks. This may be a deal breaker. I was ready to go with 15 a month. At a dime a min, 150 min would have been plenty.
Still 30 buck per month for a smart phone is as low as I have found.