Can you coat Shellac?

I want to know if there is any product other than paint that you can cover a shellacked piece of furniture and still see the wood.

I purchased Zinzor Bullseye Amber Shellac and covered a small chair. I planned to coat it with polyurethane but the can of urethane said not to cover Shellac. I thought covering the shellac would provide more protection.

I think I should have used another product at this point. I know there is another amber product made for outside. I think its Helmsman.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

call Zinser

Reply to
m Ransley

Well, back in my "wood shop" days we routinely covered shellac with linseed oil based varnish.

But old varnish and poly-U varnish may not have the same chemistry. The old stuff reacted to the oxygen in air. I don't know what makes the poly-U varnish "set." I would say water BUT "they" make water based poly-U varnish so that can't be.

Reply to
John Gilmer

- New & Improved - N/F John-

- Nehmo - What's wrong with shellac itself?

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev

Standard Zinnser shellac has wax in it. The wax won't let urethanes or varnishes stick, so Helmsman is out as well. Dewaxed shellac, available at specialty woodworking suppliers, and as Zinsser's Seal Coat, can be covered by urethanes.

Lacquer sticks to shellac very well. One consumer brand is Deft, available in spray cans or as a brushable product.

Shellac is a very nice coating itself, why do you feel the need to recoat it?

If shellac gets scratched, you can buff the scratch a bit, and spray some fresh shellac right over it, melting into the previous coat.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Personally I love shellac as a final finish. It may not be as hard as some others, but in most cases it will not need to be harder. Bed room furniture I made for my kids when they were born is now in my daughters home over 20 years later, look good and still have the original finish.

If you need to repair a shellac finish it is easy. If you need to remove it, at bottle of alcohol will take care of that in no time.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Phisherman

I don't know about zinzer, but shellac has been used as a standard under coat for many years. You shouldn't use shellac anywhere it will be exposed to water, so you shouldn't use it on outside furniture. I would just put varnish or a polyurethane over the shellac if you want a natural finish. Most won't stand up for a longer period against UV radiation.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I would like to thank all of you for your input on this matter. I think I'll put a third coat shellac on the chair and be done with it.

My can of polyurethane said not to cover shellac but my brother did it on a matching chair with the same shellac brand and color.

I never used shellac until this time. The chair will be going to my niece's home who is going to be three years old. I figured there was a good possibility that she or her slightly older sister would drop water on the chair. Those tea parties get pretty wild.

I guess I should not worry if it gets stained. It seems pretty easy to remedy.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

Reply to
nospambob

I have never had a problem with shellac and water, but alcohol is a real problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Water messes up dried shellac finishes, but a bit slower. Shellac dissolves in alcohol.

Shellac is the reason "they melt in your mouth, not your hand", it will take *some* water.

Coasters on a shellac finish is a must.

Reply to
John Hines