Can water and 120VAC power share a trench?

I want to run 120V to my shed and I also want to put a hose bib closer to SWMBO's gardens, which are on the far side of the shed.

At the house, there is an outdoor receptacle box in close proximity to the existing hose bib, so a single trench from that location to the shed would be perfect.

I plan to blow out the hose bib run before winter, just like you would with a sprinkler system, so I wasn't going to bury it below the frost line.

Can I put the conduit for the power and the PVC for the water in the same trench?

It would be easy enough to put the water pipe below the power.

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I believe that the technique is to create a "ledge" on the side of the trench. I'm pretty sure you are not supposed to just lay them both at the bottom. I think you need 12" separation.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

AFAIK, there is nothing that says the trench cannot be shared. The key requirement is depth, and assuming it's across open yard, I believe the relevant numbers are 24" for direct burial cable and 18" for PVC conduit.

Had a well installed here in NJ last year and the well guys used PVC conduit laid in the same trench right next to the poly pipe. It passed the electrical inspection.

If the outlet where you plan to start is not already GFCI, make sure you make it so.

Reply to
trader4

That is a question for your local AHJ... It means a wider trench to ensure proper separation as they can't be buried one on top of the other...

Regardless of whether or not you are going to be blowing out the water line for the winter the trench needs to be deep enough to comply with the code for the underground feeder cable you want to run to power the outlet in your shed...

It might be worth the extra effort to install a separate home run to your breaker panel and have that outlet on its own circuit since you never know what you want to do with the power in the shed in the future... I mean you are going to be digging up your backyard, why not just go the extra little distance here and feed that run on its own circuit since you are going to all the effort of digging a trench and everything...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Should have added, it was an irrigation well so the trench was 18-24 inches deep

Reply to
trader4

There are no rules in the National Electric Code about separating water pipes and electrical raceways or cables in a trench. Utilities have rules in right of ways but that is just so they can work on one without breaking the other one. Personally I would put the electric on the bottom and let the water pipe be my warning I was hitting something.

Reply to
gfretwell

I did, with 220v and water, should have run network wires as well. I go with the guy who suggested the water on top, so if someone hits it digging, they hit the water first.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Ya know, the 4" plastic drain pipe from the gutters runs right where I want to run the power and water. Maybe I'll just put it in there.

Nah...then I wouldn't be able to snake out the roots. D@mn!

Kidding!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Bury TWO copper pipes. One hot, one cold. DO NOT let them touch. Then hook the two wires from your AC cable, one wire to each pipe. One is hot, the other is neutral. That'll save buying all the wire.

Problem solved !!!!

Reply to
homer-simpson

Where I did it up in PA the power company was a little funny about things so I had the power lines run first, then covered them enough that they would turn on the power. After they were gone I added water, and telephone to the ditch. The power company had nothing in writing prohibiting it, it all depended on who they sent out to inspect the work.

Reply to
Tony

One hot, one neutral. What is that called? Half Phase?

Reply to
Tony

I'd hook the hot lead to the hot water pipe !!!!

Reply to
1

...and free bait, to boot!

Reply to
keith

Close.

Reply to
keith

I hope you are aware that wet ground conducts electricity and will short out the two copper pipes. Sure hope none of your kids or wife is standing on wet ground near it when it shorts.

Reply to
d4Texas

Pets and earth worms....

Reply to