Can this GE microwave have an outlet above in the cabinet.

I posted a question a few weeks ago about electrical requirements for a microwave. This question deals more with where to mount the outlet. I wanted to get a GE Spacemaker II microwave like this:

This microwave has the option to be mounted under a cabinet (see pictures in the link). However, if the outlet is behind the microwave you need about 2" space to plug in or take out the cord. I could install an outlet below or to the side of the microwave to make the unit sit farther back , but then I would see the cord/plug on the backsplash. My question is can I put an outlet in the cabinet above, even though this microwave was not designed for it like the over the stove microwave/fan units. On the Spacemaker, the cord comes out from the back upper right side, whereas most microwave/hood combos has the cord coming out the top.

Reply to
Mikepier

*I don't see a reason why you should not be able to install an outlet above. You would just need to drill a hole to bring the cord through. If you can, check the floor model of the microwave before you buy it to see how the electrical cord is positioned. That may help in determining where to put the outlet.
Reply to
John Grabowski

The url is incomplete.

There's no rule that prevents you from putting an outlet in the cabinet above. That how most under the cabinet mircrowaves are installed. You will still have to leave a little clearance if the cord comes out the back.

Why don't you get a normal under the counter microwave? The prices are more comparable to counter top one these days.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The only microwaves I've seen on GE's website that has the option to mount under a cabinet are the Spacemaker models. My wall cabinets are

24" wide, just like the Spacemaker. I did not see any other normal under cabinet microwaves, unless another manufacturer makes one. I don't need a microwave/fan combo since this is not going over a stove.
Reply to
Mikepier

Yes, you can do that. That's exactly what I did with a GE Spacemaker II back in January of this year. I bought the under-cabinet mounting bracket that they sell for it, mounted it under a cabinet, ran the cord up into the cabinet above, and plugged the cord into an outlet that I put inside that cabinet.

Reply to
RogerT

Thank You. Can you tell me how far of a space did you leave on the back for the cord to route up to the cabinet? Or were you able to push the microwave flush against the backsplash?

Reply to
Mikepier

I can't remember for sure, but I am pretty sure the microwave went right back against the backsplash -- or at most, there was a 1/8-1/4 inch space between the back of the microwave and the backsplash. And, if I remember correctly, the way the back of the unit is designed there is sort of a bump out where most of the back sticks out, but around the perimeter of the back there is a path where it doesn't stick out as far as the bump out area -- so there is a path where the cord can go. Running the cord up and through a hole in the bottom of the wall cabinets was easy, and the cord just plugged into an outlet that was mounted in the wall on the inside of the cabinet.

To understand the exact depth of the space where the microwave went, there were standard wall cabinets above the microwave and from which the microwave was hung. Then there was a 4x4 tile backsplash from the countertop up to the cabinets. So, the tiles reduced the available depth by the thickness of the tiles. I don't remember the exact depth of the wall cabinets, but they were new standard depth wall cabinets.

Reply to
RogerT

P.S. I forgot to mention that when you hang the microwave from the wall cabinet above, there is a space between the top of the microwave and the bottom shelf of the cabinet. That's because the sides, front, and back of the cabinet come down about 3/4-inch below the actual bottom shelf of the cabinet.

Reply to
RogerT

Thanks again.

Reply to