Can "They" fix this?

pray4surf wrote: ...

Well, my opinion is it's the "fault" of all the human entities above...a combination of short-sideness and various forms of human nature which can generally lumped together under the term "greed" in a global sense. I don't mean to ascribe malfeasance, simply the desire of all involved to get something they want as cheaply as they can w/o consideration for the "big picture". If, otoh, one were to dispassionately step back and look at what happens on these hillsides over a period of, say, a couple of hundred years, factor in the pressures of additional run off caused by the building and do an adequate analysis of the soil mechanics, it would become clear that such "disasters" are, in fact, man-made and inevitable, "Acts of God" (except in the sense legal that insurance companies use the phrase).

So, yes, imo "the homeowners are screwed..."--they're the ones who ultimately chose to get something they wanted at a short term price w/o adequately considering potential long term costs...now, like life or health insurance, that may be a risk they're willing to take, but, if one's in such an area, it shouldn't take much imagination to figure out what happen if...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

In most places I've been of any size, the developers tend to be the regulators as they recognize they way to maximize their ability to do what they do profitably is to control city council, zoning boards, etc. So they make concerted efforts to do so...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

They're screwed because they decided to abdicate their responsibility for their own well-being, in favor of letting "them" decide what's safe, what's not safe, where they should live, what they should want, and what they should be offended by.

And they got what sheep always get. That's what it's like being a serf.

And was it me, and I had a loan on such a house, I'd just default. "Chase? You know that $400,000 property that I pledged as collateral on my $300,000 loan last year? It's yours now. Have a nice day..."

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

geotechnical

Reword that as; "At some time during the next thousand years ...................... ". i.e. It could be tomorrow!

Reply to
Terry