Can these air conditioners be fixed?

I have an older 5000 BTU window A/C. It didn't seem to be cooling much, so I checked it with my digital temp probe. I can hear the compressor running. Outside air temp was 82, and the air outlet tep was 70 deg.! I have recently cleaned it, so the air flow must be OK. I presume the freon charge must be low. Is it practical to get these small window units recharged, or is it best just to throw it out and replace it? I have another one (same BTUs) purchased from Appliance Mart that is not old at all, has a fancy electronic control module, but it is well out of warranty. The air temp at the air discharge on this one was 58 deg.! It's definitely the unit that is not cooling well, as I have a third one in another room, and at the same time /same temp I found this one putting out air at 47 deg....the only one I have that is really working right. Maybe it would be worth it to have the second fairly new one recharged? (It cost about $250) Thanks.

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Pitch it. Couple of reasons -

1) you can get a new 5,000 at WalMart, Target, The Home Depot, Lowe's etc for $100 or slightly above, even at this time of the year. 2) old saying "it's sick because it's dying". There is no such thing as just getting it recharged. If it's low on gas it means it's leaking somewhere, and that means more $ to get the leak fixed. Don't fix the leak, and it will be right back where it was after a period of time. These are -sealed- systems, there is no such thing as "topping off" if the thing is leak free.
Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I would get some evaporator coil cleaner and spray the coil, it could be somewhat insulated. Room air temperatures could be different, and cfm through the coils per BTUH could be different.

It could be a number of things other than low on refrigerant.

Buy a new higher efficiency 5000 BTUH room unit, they don't cost much. Tell them you want to witness its performance in the store before you buy one and see what they say, ha! -D

Reply to
D-

This is Turtle

Chris, walmarts has them at regular price at $97.00 + Sales tax. Take $23.00 or so to put with it and get you a new one, fully warrentied for 1 year parts / 5 years compressor.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

Walmarts $97.00 + Sales Tax will fix it real fast.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

How did you "clean it"?

*IF* the refrigerant charge was low, you should get a *partial* *frosting* of the evaporator (cooling) coil or no cooling of it whatsoever (if totally out of refrigerant). Under normal conditions, the evaporator coil should develop an *even* sweating across it whole area.

Not usually but then window/room air conditioners rarely need it unless damage is done to the refrigeration tubing somehow. Under normal conditions, a window/wall air conditioner should *never* need to be "recharged" as its refrigerant travels in a sealed system and it never "wears out".

What likely needs to be done (if it isn't showing signs of a refrigeration problem) is a professional cleaning of the unit. That involves taking it apart and cleaning both the evaporator and condenser coil thoroughly with high pressure steam or special chemicals.

An air conditioner should be cleaned at least every 3 years or every year if you live in a high traffic area to keep it working as well as possible while using the least amount of energy.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

The refrigerant in a window/wall air conditioner travels in a sealed system and should *never* need to be "recharged" unless damage has been done to the tubing or coils it travels through. If any does leak out, that leak must be found and sealed before recharging.

In most cases, all that is needed.

Maybe in the off season. If you wait until the middle of a hot spell to get it serviced, you should expect at least a couple of days backlog, (if not more).

An air conditioner should be cleaned at least every 3 years or every year if you live in a high traffic area to keep it working as well as possible while using the least amount of energy. Get is done in late Spring or early fall (while the whether is still warm so it can be properly tested).

JMO

No comment.

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Pot, kettle, black. Moron. I told him that about 24 hours ago. Do you always just re-read other people's posts and re-write what they say???

I wish I didn't feel sorry for you, then I would rip you a new one. But I sympathize with you, having been hit pretty hard in the head myself once in life. Skull fracture, the whole nine yards. Being you've (admitted yourself) been hit in the head by several falling trees, I can only get on your shit to a certain point.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Solid advice here!! :-)

-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>

( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail

Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!

_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Reply to
kjpro

Yea..and from TP...

Amazing...

Shame he cant get much right....

Reply to
CBHvac

This is Turtle.

!) What in the hell are you talking about ?

2) Are you worried about upsetting me ?

3) Now to you thinking you might even have a chance of a snow ball in hell of kicking my behind. Tommy , My Boy, Hummmmmmmm LOL , You need to come on down and get you some. I will say this I will kick your ass so bad you will have to take your shirt off to take a piss. Don't let your mouth over load your butt for you will get more that you bargain for. If you would like to put up or shut up. I would like to meet you anytime and anywhere and I will kick your ass so bad I will even make you like it. I just got to thinking about it. i think you should bring a couple of your buddys with you to make it a even match. One On One with me is no match. You need two or more other to even up the score and not have the fight uneven. You could bring 2 more buddys and your self against me would be about even. Don't let your mouth over load your butt for you will get it kicked bad. Was I clear about this Peter Boy ?

4) I feel sorry for you because you having no friends and have to get some one to talk to you over the internet in a Trolling way. Sorry you having these type problem.

5) If you feel lucky Meet me to get your ass kicked.

6) Do you have medical insurance if not I will only beat your face in. Don't worry for i won't break any of your bones just your face.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Woooo. I'm scairt.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

You know where I live, loser. Do what you need to do.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

This is Turtle.

You better be.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Turtle-- be careful. Tommy is just wanting to get you down on the ground so he can fondle your balls. Don't let him!!!

Reply to
Oscar_lives

If it was running at night, it might not have been noticed until latter in the day. If you're absolutely positive the icing occurred during the day, I can't think of anything beside poor air flow through the evaporator (cooling) coil which could cause it.

More than likely the compressor's overload protector was cycling the compressor on and off to stop it from becoming damaged running in that condition. The unit's thermostat wouldn't usually cycle the A/C without an air flow past it which won't be possible if "evaporator completely encased in solid ice".

It is important the *whole* coil be cleaned.

Just *looking* at it in insufficient (especially from the outside) to determine whether it is dirty or not. Minute particles build up on the surface of the coil (not to mention leaves and stuff inside) and hinder the heat removal. If is hasn't been professionally cleaner recently (or ever), it needs to be.

A dirty condenser would not cause freezing of the evaporator coil though, just reduced cooling ability and increase energy consumption.

Maybe to look at. An evaporator coil is 1 to 2.5 inches thick. Just cleaning the *visible* surface will do little IMO.

That is still insufficient.

I think you'd be better served to take it to a **professional** and have a proper cleaning job done. No use filling up our landfills prematurely? Although we do live in a wasteful society, why not be part of it???

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

How do they get the freon into a sealed system? Seriously, I've always wondered about that..

Reply to
J Kelly

Oscar_lives Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

LOL!

Oh, hey. That reminds me. I was thinking about TommyPeddleAss on the way home from PA yesterday.

Anyone remember the kid that always acted out, picking silly fights against people he has no chance to win, and claims he is never wrong?

Doesn't TommyPiddlePants remind you of him?

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

This is Turtle.

Yea, Elwood Topping.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hi J, hope you are having a nice day

On 05-Aug-03 At About 05:11:50, J Kelly wrote to All Subject: Re: Can these air conditioners be fixed?

JK> From: J Kelly always wondered about that..

They put it in through a small process tube then crimp and braze it shut.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2