Can't win this one.

Page 1 of 2
The wife and I decided to replace our kitchen sink and counter with an all-in-one sink/counter combination.
One the way to the store, she told me:
And this time do the faucet right.
"What do you mean ?" I asked.
She then informed me that hot is normally on the left and cold is normally on the right.... and I told her that was they way I put it in 25 years ago...."Correctly"
"We'll settle this when we get home" she told me.
The sink just has a single lever...so I told her:
"Regardless of it being right or wrong, just push the lever to the position that is *supposed* to be hot.
The moved the lever to the left...then I told her to feel the water which was hot as it should be.
After confirming that indeed the water was hot, she remarked:
"I still think you did it wrong!"
On 7/20/2015 2:25 PM, philo wrote:

LOL!! You could just say, "Yes, dear". HAHAAHAHAH
--
Maggie

If you are going to get blamed anyway, just put it in wrong this time.
On 7/20/2015 4:15 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

Might have a plumber put it in. Oh, wait. "YOUR plumber did it wrong."
I think I better think it out, again.
--
.
Trevye Young, in Fiddler On The Roof
On 7/20/2015 3:45 PM, philo wrote:

The wallpaper will probably get messed up during the sink installation. She might want to install tile back splashes, too, along with the new sink. I'm sure she'll think of more to do. Maybe new cabinets?
--
Maggie

On 07/20/2015 03:47 PM, Muggles wrote:

Here is the plan:
Hire a friend to remove the wallpaper.
I will then open the walls and rewire.
Same friend will then prep the walls.
Next the sink and counter will be removed. The cabinets are in good condition but I will have to hire my friend to sand and paint them to match the new color scheme.
We will hire a professional paper-hanger to put in the wallpaper.
Finally the new sink/counter top will be installed...
The back-splash will be about six inches high . Since the sink, counter and back-splash are all one piece there should be no water damage.
The one being replaced has minor water damage...but considering I did it 25 years ago, I think I can say I got my money's worth by now.

What about the floor? And new appliances?
I am sure the lighting can be improved as well.
On 07/20/2015 04:09 PM, taxed and spent wrote:

All the appliances are new and the floor is actually OK
When the Congolium (?) was put in the salesman said the floor did not have to be prepped but when the installer came out...thankfully he was a perfectionist and spent an entire day removing the old floor and leveling it. We were not charged any extra and I was billed for exactly the quoted price.
It's held up damn well and will just need a good scrubbing when we are all done with the project. For the present were are not cleaning it too well , knowing it's soon to get quite dirty.
As to the lighting.
shhhh
So far she has not said anything but she will...eventually
taxed and spent posted for all of us...

Stop there? You probably need bathroom overhauls and additions along with making the basement into an "entertainment center" (your definition may vary from mine-watch out for the purple neon).
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 7/20/2015 3:56 PM, philo wrote:

My poor kitchen need some tlc, too. Now, I'm jealous.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

My kitchen is still in the planning/layout phase , we haven't broken ground yet . You probably don't know , but the wife and I live in a 25 foot camping trailer in a clearing out in the woods . Well , that's a little misleading , there's also a 16 x 24 room , attached to the camper via a temporary hallway . The kitchen is phase II , and will be 24 x 24 with a 16 x 10 combination pantry/storm shelter/general storage area underneath .
--
Snag

On 7/20/2015 6:18 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

wow ... that must be an interesting adventure. I think every house should have a storm shelter. Do you live in tornado alley?
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

Sort of , we do get some from time to time . A few years ago one hit Mountain View (Arkansas) . We figured from the storm damage track that it had to have skipped over our property - this was before we moved up here . Ice storms are the biggie here - which is why I now have a (little bitty , but ...) tractor with a blade on the front . It's a mile to pavement ... uphill ...
--
Snag

On 7/20/2015 8:55 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

yikes .. So you don't have a road to where your trailer is at?
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote:

Oh yes , there's a road , but it's gravel/dirt . And the county might get to it before the ice melts , depending on how severe the storm was . We've (neighbor and I) usually got at least one lane cleared before they get the highway cleared - we're about 10 miles out of town on winding mountain roads . The other neighbors think Ken and I are a couple of Swell Guys .
--
Snag

On 7/21/2015 7:36 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Nothing like clearing a road that makes neighbors appreciate you.
--
Maggie

Terry Coombs posted for all of us...

Do you have a building permit & COO?
--
Tekkie *Please post a follow-up*

On 07/20/2015 05:35 PM, Muggles wrote:

To hire real contractors, this would cost some money but most of it will be done by myself, with some help from a friend who works for $12.50 an hour...so it is not going to cost a fortune.
On 7/20/2015 6:23 PM, philo wrote:

How long do you think it'll take to complete?
--
Maggie