Can't start my lawnmower!

I was mowing the back yard the other day and the mower just stopped (out of gas). Filled it up but it wouldn't start again. Tried to start it again today and no go. I got some energetic kids to come yank it endlessly but it just won't start. They said it's not the spark plug and it all looks fine except for one thing -- there is white smoke shooting out of the holes in the cover of this silver thing on the side (they think that's the muffler?), and after a while gas sprays out of the same place. Any ideas?
Thanks
snipped-for-privacy@my.house wrote:

sounds like it's flooded big time. Don't prime or choke and keep pulling cord until all gas is purged. Make sure plug is not wet. You can toast it on the range top to dry. Tony
Did you turn it on its side recently?
My guess is the air filte is saturated with oil...If so, go to the place where you bought it and get a replacement....maybe $3.
SK

Remove it and see if it starts. if so, clean the filter and put it back in.
What brand is the motor?
Is the fuel tank down low on the side or up high?
Who said the spark plug was OK?
How did s/he check the spark plug?
Did you take the spark plug out?
How did it look?
Is the oil level low, full, or over full?
Are tyou trying to start it on a level surface?
Did you check for water in the gas?
Do you have compression?
What kind of air filter do you have? Foam or paper element?
Is the choke shutting?
Does it start with the air cleaner removed?
Have you gotten the picture that we need much more information?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

one.