Can't repair home office printer, so need a new one

Page 1 of 8
I'm going cross-eyed looking at ads for home office printers. Every time I look at the customer ratings and comments, it seems I'll see mixed reviews, many good ones and then some awful ones, which makes me want to go look at the next machine.
My current printer is an HP Photosmart that keeps having an ink error. In the past I've been able to do a master reset, which allows me to print in black only, because that's all I need right now, but a 3rd color cartridge ran out of ink and set up that ink error again. The master reset hasn't worked this time, and I've tried it about 10 times thus far.
I can buy the color ink cartridges and install them, but it's no guarantee that it will them allow a master reset. It had been leaking one of the color cartridges, and that started all of a sudden, but allowed me to print in black until now.
So, I'm thinking it's time to chuck this printer that's at least 10 years old and get a new one.
Any recommendations? I like inkjet, color, and all-in-ones (printer/scanner/copier...)
--
Maggie

If you got 10 years out of it, you're doing well. Most people buy a inkjet printer, use it till the ink runs out, finds that the ink costs as much as another printer, and they toss the printer in the garbage and buy a new one.
On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 13:59:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

full ink cartridges. You get "starters" Buying the replacements, even when it excedes the cost of the printer MAKES PERFECT SENSE.
Only a fool with no respect for either his wallet or the environment throws away a perfectly good printer just because it ran out of ink and on the short term it's cheaper to throw it away and replace it.
Likely the same people who'd vote for Trump and for the same reason. Ignorance of facts.
On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 17:42:17 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That is correct. You can also get more out of a toner cartridge by searching the web. The cartridges and/or printers have something that makes them stop before they are out of toner. This means you never get streaky output, but you lose many copies.
Some you put tape over a sensor. With my Brother there is a sequence to key into the keypad. That keeps it going until you get the streaks, but then you take the toner catridge out and shake it back and forth. That gets you a little more.
On Tuesday, October 4, 2016 at 3:02:52 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

*Most* people throw their printers away when the ink runs out? Really?
Do you have any stats that back that up?
Have *you* actually done that?
On Tue, 04 Oct 2016 13:59:39 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moo wrote:

You shouldn't toss printers into the garbage. Here in NYC it is illegal to do so. You must take all electronic waste to a place for recycling. A good move. I simply take to Staples, which is less than a mile from me.
On 10/5/2016 10:45 AM, Don Wiss wrote:

Best Buy will take any old electronic equipment. I disposed of 4 good old crt TV's there.
Wife gets credit taking empty ink cartridges to Staples.
On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 at 2:11:19 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

Where I live, Best Buy is the only legal way to get rid of a CRT TV. But they charge $25 each.
On 10/5/2016 3:19 PM, TimR wrote:

and there was no charge. Neighbor was getting one ready for the dump where they would charge and I told him about Best Buy. Don't think he has gotten rid of it yet but I will have to ask him when he does.
In typed:

Yes, it's a new policy at Best Buy. No more free TV recycling.

It could be worse. I live in Colorado, which has made it state law that ANY recycling has to be done through a state approved commercial recycling business. And yes, you WILL be charged! 8|
nb
On 10/6/2016 1:24 PM, notbob wrote:

Watch for TVs to start showing up in even greater numbers on the side of the road. Like tires. You pay a recycling fee when you buy tires, but then they charge you when you want to recycle them.

That's very different than here (TN). As you can take spent electronics to a recycling center and they'll pay YOU for it. it's by weight though, so you'd want to have a truckload to justify the fuel spent. You don't get much $$$ per pound.
--
People you encounter every day are fighting battles you know nothing
about. Be kind.
In wrote:

Interesting. I never knew about that. I just did a Google search for ---> crt tv copper deflection coil <--- and the results include YouTube videos etc. on how to remove the copper from old CRT TV's. I wonder how much one typical copper deflection coil is worth as scrap these days -- probably not a lot, I assume. But, for scrappers, I guess it's one more copper item to add to their pile/collection for recycle.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=crt+tv+copper+deflection+coil
In wrote:

I just watched some of the YouTube videos and I checked out some of the other links.
Recycling the copper seems like a lot of work for not much copper. I think a rough estimate of the weight of the copper from the deflection coil is about 150 grams or about 0.33 pounds. I doubt that 1/3 lb of copper is worth much as scrap.
One of the videos also mention a degaussing wire around the edge of the video screen. I don't know what that would be worth.
I also remember from my younger days that CRT TV's have a dangerous high voltage charge in them that stays stored up and "hot" even with the TV off and unplugged. I do remember having to safely discharge that before working on the TV, but I didn't remember how.
Here are a couple of links that talk about that danger and how to safely do the discharge of the stored up high voltage:
http://crackedraytube.com/pdfs/oscillographic_tv_tutorial.pdf
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-take-apart-TV/
On 10/07/2016 10:22 AM, TomR wrote:
[snip]

I was there when a relative was having a TV (27-inch console) repaired. IIRC, they said the high voltage was about 36KV.
--
79 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

a big TV, about 4 oz each or roughly 50 cents.
In wrote:

Wow, 50 cents! I'm rich. I have 3 old CRT TV's to get rid of, so with a lot of time and effort, and a little bit of risk of an electric shock, I could be in for a real windfall -- $1.50. Time to give up my day job.

vans with small trashy trailers cruising the streets every garbage day, grabbing anything metallic - ferrous or not. The last couple months they have been reduced by, at the very least, half.- and they are picky. They take non-ferrous and heavy steel scrap - like brake rotors etc, but leave the light tin and plated steel lamps. They will still nab stuff like washers and driers and ranges.

They may here also. But they are further away than Staples. I think Staples won't take CRT TVs here. But they do take CRT monitors. If I had a CRT TV I would get on the web and see where NYC has for my options