Can't remove this

Page 1 of 2

I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves in them. What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
✖
---
look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Wing
Add pictures here
✖
Sound like the tri wing thing. If you're an authorized user, you get the screw driver tips that fit.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Add pictures here
✖
Wait till they get to the store, and see if the HF demands authorization.....
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Their only question will be, "How many sets would you like?"
Add pictures here
✖
Paper or plastic? Fries with that? And, here's some coupons for the deep discount sale next week.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Somehow, I just don't see HF worrying about "authorization" to buy a screwdriver bit set.
You can also get them on eBay and none of the auctions say anything about authorization.
Sure, it's *possible* that once you order, you might be "stopped". Out of curiousity, I just sent an email to an eBay seller asking if any type of "authorization" is reuired to purchase security bits.
I'll let you know what I hear.
Add pictures here
✖
Thank you. I am curious to hear back what the reply is.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Hear ya go...
hello derbydad03 well i been selling this item already in diff web site they never had ask me that before i think are available to the general public.
Add pictures here
✖
Thanks. that makes good reading. Sounded a bit uncertain.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Let's follow this thinking through...
Who would be authorized?
And how would someone prove they were authorized?
FYI - I used to work for an electronics "factory authorized dealer" repair facility. And I had to buy my own tools. I had NOTHING which said I worked there except for business cards. I had pay check stubs, but the name of the company on these was just a generic name. Even the owner of this company would not have had anything to show he was an authorized dealer except his business cards, the sign out front, and maybe a 30 page dealership contract. Anyone can print a business card on their computer.
Then I also used to work in a hardware store when I was in high school. I NEVER remember being told to NOT sell anything we sold to certain persons! As a matter of fact, the store was having money problems and they wanted us to try to sell MORE stuff to people!
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 08:25:12 -0700, "Bill"

Walk into just about any hardware store and hand them a key that is clearly stamped, "DO NOT DUPLICATE" and ask them to make 5 copies.
Add pictures here
✖
I worked at a key place, in about 1984. Maybe 1985. Anyhow, the boss said that simple posession of the key was proof that a copy was permitted. It has been a while. I did ask about keys stamped DND. I think his official instruction was: "I don't care if the key says they will twist off your nuts if you copy the key, make the duplicate".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

re: "Anyhow, the boss said that simple possession of the key was proof that a copy was permitted."
You do realize how ridiculous that statement is, right?
What would be the point of marking them Do Not Duplicate if anyone who was in possession of them was automatically authorized to have them duplicated? Are you supposed to mark them Do Not Duplicate and then put them a drawer? I guess you wouldn't have to mark them if you were going to do that, would you?
Granted, you, I and anyone with half a brain knows that actually getting them duplicated is not going to be a problem, but that doesn't make you boss's statement right.
At best, the marking of the keys *might* give the actual owner of the keys the right to discipline/fire the person who had the keys duplicated.
Add pictures here
✖
re: "Anyhow, the boss said that simple possession of the key was proof that a copy was permitted."
You do realize how ridiculous that statement is, right?
CY: yes, that's been on my mind for a few years.
What would be the point of marking them Do Not Duplicate if anyone who was in possession of them was automatically authorized to have them duplicated?
CY: But of course, the DND key is "supposed" to allow the boss to hand out a key, get it back, and be fairly sure there are no dups out there.
Are you supposed to mark them Do Not Duplicate and then put them a drawer? I guess you wouldn't have to mark them if you were going to do that, would you?
CY: or simply not issue the keys to employees.
Granted, you, I and anyone with half a brain knows that actually getting them duplicated is not going to be a problem, but that doesn't make you boss's statement right.
CY: Right, the boss was looking at his own income, not looking at the customer's best interests.
At best, the marking of the keys *might* give the actual owner of the keys the right to discipline/fire the person who had the keys duplicated.
CY: That's a thought.
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

The DND keys I have seen (and have several on my keyring) are all blank styles a hardware store is unlikely to have. (Russwin something-or-other, in the case of the building where I work.) Any local locksmith that has the blanks in stock knows damn well where the key came from, and will tell you NO. I suppose if I went a couple towns away, and spun a line of bull, I could get them copied, but it is hardly worth the trouble. If there is ever a door I need to open, and my keys won't do it, I just get the on-duty rent-a-cop up there with his keyring to do it. He can log my name and the time and date all he wants.
I'm pretty sure the trade association code of ethics for locksmiths includes something about not making keys if they have reason to doubt the story of the person bringing the original key in. And if not them, all it would take is one or two documented incidents for his bonding company to cancel him out, even if they didn't have to pay out any money. For a locksmith with regular customers with lots of locks that need to be worked on regularly, getting a reputation as somebody who sells bootleg keys could quickly put you out of business. Erring on the side of caution is only sensible.
--
aem sends...

Add pictures here
✖
They didn't ask me
---

Add pictures here
✖

I have that set -- ackshooly the 100 pc set, on sale at $5 or so -- bought 4. I don't recall seeing the triwing in there, altho I could have missed it.
Handy set, overall.
Long-nosed vise grips are handy too! :)
--
EA

✖
On 4/9/2010 10:53 AM Existential Angst spake thus:

I have the same set from HF. It has two different tri-wing bits in it, so the OP can probably remove those screws with it.

- a Usenet "apology"
✖