Can't remove this

I have some screws that are rounded heads & have 3 groves in them. What kind of screw is this & how can i remove them ?

Reply to
desgnr

look here

Charlie

Sound like the tri wing thing. If you're an authorized user, you get the screw driver tips that fit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No need for being an authorized user. Harbor Freight has these and others.

Charlie

Wait till they get to the store, and see if the HF demands authorization.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reminded me of the old light swtich / outlet cover ones - we've got a few in our place, three cuts across the head, and a slight circular indent in the center. The cuts are shallow and u-shaped and don't take a screwdriver well.

I've never had one stick in that particular situation, but I usually replace oddball screws/bolts with something more common as/when I find them (I hate "tamper proof" crap).

A hacksaw blade in one of the grooves would probably square it off and deepen it enough to just get a flat-bladed screwdriver in - then ditch it and replace it with something sane...

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Their only question will be, "How many sets would you like?"

Reply to
JohnnyD

Somehow, I just don't see HF worrying about "authorization" to buy a screwdriver bit set.

You can also get them on eBay and none of the auctions say anything about authorization.

Sure, it's *possible* that once you order, you might be "stopped". Out of curiousity, I just sent an email to an eBay seller asking if any type of "authorization" is reuired to purchase security bits.

I'll let you know what I hear.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's what I would typically do also, but my guess is that the OP's screws are in a "hole" and not accessible with a hacksaw blade.

I just did a quick interweb search and it seems that all of the bits available are "long reach" bits like the ones at the HF site, implying recessed screws in most, if not all, cases.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Don't be ridiculous. You can walk into any Ace Hardware or Harbor Freight, lay your money down, and walk out with a full set of security driver tips.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Let's follow this thinking through...

Who would be authorized?

And how would someone prove they were authorized?

FYI - I used to work for an electronics "factory authorized dealer" repair facility. And I had to buy my own tools. I had NOTHING which said I worked there except for business cards. I had pay check stubs, but the name of the company on these was just a generic name. Even the owner of this company would not have had anything to show he was an authorized dealer except his business cards, the sign out front, and maybe a 30 page dealership contract. Anyone can print a business card on their computer.

Then I also used to work in a hardware store when I was in high school. I NEVER remember being told to NOT sell anything we sold to certain persons! As a matter of fact, the store was having money problems and they wanted us to try to sell MORE stuff to people!

Reply to
Bill

Walk into just about any hardware store and hand them a key that is clearly stamped, "DO NOT DUPLICATE" and ask them to make 5 copies.

Reply to
salty

And you need to know the secret hand-shake. There maybe a decoder ring involved too

Reply to
JimT

I have that set -- ackshooly the 100 pc set, on sale at $5 or so -- bought

  1. I don't recall seeing the triwing in there, altho I could have missed it.

Handy set, overall.

Long-nosed vise grips are handy too! :)

Reply to
Existential Angst

They didn't ask me

Reply to
Charlie

They're part of Vista SP1. Upgrade to Windows 7 and you won't have the problem.

Reply to
JawBone

Paper or plastic? Fries with that? And, here's some coupons for the deep discount sale next week.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thank you. I am curious to hear back what the reply is.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I worked at a key place, in about 1984. Maybe 1985. Anyhow, the boss said that simple posession of the key was proof that a copy was permitted. It has been a while. I did ask about keys stamped DND. I think his official instruction was: "I don't care if the key says they will twist off your nuts if you copy the key, make the duplicate".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Maybe. I can't comment on that.

Reply to