Can't pull Honda HRR216VKA lawn mower backwards anymore

Page 3 of 3
replying to Rebel1, roger leahey wrote: I fixed this problem, even though my fix appears to be different from the other answers. The fix is simple lubrication of the wheels and associated axel. ​ ​ My mower is a one year old Honda HRR1216VKA. Wheels locking up when pulling the mower backwards appear to be a common problem, yet it is not listed in the troubleshooting guide. ​ It’s a good idea to follow the recommendation that says after mowing, turn off the gas line and let the engine run until the gas in the line runs out. You are going to be turning the mower over on both its sides and I think this may minimize gas flooding into the engine. ​ Hose out the underside of the mower deck, as usual after mowing. Also hose out the space between the wheels and the deck to remove sand/grass/dust/dirt. Of course, be careful not to get water into the carburetor, or to get the air filter wet, but I’ve never had a problem with this. Before going to the next step, I let my mower dry overnight. ​ Next, remove the air filter to prevent it from possibly getting wet with oil when you turn the mower over on its side with the gas cap near the ground. Lubricate the all moving parts associated with the wheels and the wheel axel. Lubricate where the axel shaft goes into the wheel and where the axel shaft goes into the metal box that covers the drive belt. I use “Zoom Spout” oil, and with the mower in its normal position, I use the spout to try and oil where the axil rod enters the inside of the wheel. Turn the mower over on both sides and apply the oil to the axel and wheels. This should free up the wheels. ​ ​Next, do the simple procedure to adjust the drive cable. For my mower, you simply move the palm paddles to the lowest position and then tighten the cable nut one rotation at a time until you feel resistance; then you loosen the cable by eight turns. Now your cable is correctly adjusted. See your mowers instructions. ​ Do you have a Honda with the two blade mulching system? This method is obsolete. I threw my two blades in the trash and bought a single blade of the new “alligator” type. The blade is tempered steel, mulches way better and keeps its edge longer. My blade is a Oregon Gator Mulcher 3-N-1 Blade For 21-Inch Honda Lawn Mowers 90-651
On Friday, April 8, 2016 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-4, roger leahey wrote:

IDK about an Oregon Gater Mulcher, but I had a Honda with their two blade system and it did the best mulching job, way better than any mower I've ever owned. It cut the grass into much smaller, finer particles that mostly disappeared. I just looked at the reviews on Amazon and they are mixed.
replying to trader_4, roger leahey wrote: Before I threw my "two blade" system into the trash, I mowed two strips with them and then mowed two strips with the new hardened steel Oregon Gator muncher, side by side. The Oregon did way better. But there are variables we don't know about, such as type of grass you have, mower wheel settings, and you don't say whether or not you used an alligator blade or not to compare the two blade system to. . Anyway, Honda did away with the two blade system and replaced their two blades with the newer single alligator type blade. And mowing is enough of a chore. I don't want to have to sharpen two blades. If their two blade system was so great, I don't think they would have done away with them. If someone does decide to switch to the alligator blade, be aware that I had a heck of a time sharpening it because the steel is so hard. You can't just walk into Lowe's and buy a file. You have to order a special "chipbreaker" hand file. I bought a 14 inch "Nicholson Flat Hand File, American Pattern, Chip Breaking, Rectangular." That solved the problem. Do not use a grinding wheel on blades - it ruins the steel temper. And I reiterate that as for the locked wheels problem, I have used my fast and easy method more than once, and it has worked every time.
On Monday, October 10, 2011 at 2:50:19 PM UTC-4, Rebel1 wrote:

On Monday, October 10, 2011 at 1:50:19 PM UTC-5, Rebel1 wrote:

I have a Honda HRR2169VLA. I purchased it in 2012 because of the electric s tart. I went to use it today and had the same issue as you stated. Ratcheti ng noise moving forward and locked wheels pulling back. I removed a wheel, the snap ring that retains the gear and the woodruff key / spring that make the ratcheting sound. All seemed good. Next I removed the next snap ring a nd the spacers that position the gearbox shaft in the frame. They were tigh t on the shaft. Next the wheel height adjuster mechanism was exposed and I found it frozen to the GB shaft. I pulled that apart, removed corrosion, gu nk and lubed it up. After re-assembly it worked like new. I did the same t o the other wheel as a preventive maintenance item.
replying to JTH, Roger32713 wrote: This problem is easily fixed by following the simple Drive Cable adjustment procedure found in the user manual. You do not have to tear the mower apart to fix this.
replying to Rebel1, home ed wrote: I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM REBEL 1. IT USULLY STARTS TO GO BACKWARDS IN 20 TO 30 MINS. WHAT WAS THE FIX ?