Can't pop the top of Maytag clothes dryer

I have a Maytag model DG4000 clothes dryer I need to service. I haven't found a manual for this precise model, but it appears to be one in which access is via a pop-up top, with a pair of latches in front that are released by pushing with something like a putty knife. I can feel the springiness of the latches, and have even found a video on Youtube showing how it's done, but the top on mine stubbornly will not pop up.

Has anyone encountered this before, and solved it? I suspect there's some rust somewhere that is preventing my success, but have run a putty knife along the front and both sides and they seem to be clear. I don't know what the back hinge looks like, so don't know how to proceed if that's where the problem is, and there's still a possibility that something along the front or sides is the issue.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Reply to
cjt

cj,

Sounds like you have the general idea. In my experience the top does not "pop up" but is easy to pry up free of the latches. There may be a hidden screw or two holding everything together. On mine there are 2 philips heads under the lint screen. If you get truly desperate Maytag has "on-line" chat

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

The parts list shows 2 screws a few inches above the bottom.

bob_villa

You may not be pushing the latches in far enough, you may need to help the putty knife go in further by applying a hammer to the handle. That's what I had to do more than once because that area does rust over time.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Many thanks to all who replied. With your help I succeeded where previously I had failed.

:-) :-)

Reply to
cjt