Can't lift grime of table saw

Page 5 of 5

Sam Takoy wrote the following:

Lacquer thinner.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I don't see any rust in the picture supplied. Never use water-based solvents on iron. If there is tar residue you want to remove, the acetone should have taken care of it. But, kerosene is perhaps the best cleaning solvent to use on iron tables. It should remove or loosen the tar, will remove light rust, prevent rust (and resonably kind to your skin). Wipe clean with paper towels or a cotton cloth. After you get your top clean use Johnson's Wax ($8) and buff it out or get a can of Topcoat spray ($15). Be careful, there can be sharp edges that can cut fingers! Sure, my expensive PM 66 has a few defects but still a very accurate table saw. Don't neglect a fence tuneup.

And don't spend so much time and effort cleaning and scraping that you affect the trueness of it.
Steve
Try Krud Kutter. No smell & quite effective.