Can't lift grime of table saw

Page 4 of 5

Stuart wrote:

20 YO Craftsman table is likely to be cast iron, not aluminum. Some of the stuff bolted to it may be, though.
-- aem sends....

I thought that was probably the case, I'm not sure where I got the idea the top was Al.
<Searches back through thread>
Ah, In Article snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com>,

Was the OP table surface aluminum? The table saws I've used have been steel.
A very important caution, in case we're talking aluminum.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

The OP said rust. haven't seen much rust on aluminum. BTW, I have never seen a steel top tablesaw.
CW wrote:

Real table saws, no. When they first came out, sometimes those itty-bitty 'portable' saws (Basically an upside-down circular saw) had heavily ribbed stamped steel tops. Never understood how a saw with a tiny table could be much use for anything bigger than a birdhouse, but they sure sold a lot of them.
-- aem sends,,,

If the ribs were part of the top, they weren't stamped nor were they steel.
CW wrote:

Not ribs like a heat sink, ribs like a pickup truck bed. Perhaps 'corrugations stamped into the field area' would be a better description. Looked like the table extensions on a modern big saw. Something to keep the itty-bitty top of the saw halfway flat. My memory could be faulty- I looked at a few of the things maybe ten years ago, decided they were toys, and decided to do without till I had room and money for a real saw. (Got the money now, but no room.) As little ripping as I do, and no cabinetry, the old reliable method of sawhorses, straigtedges, and clamps is adequate. I have a chop saw for square ends on 2x and trim.
-- aem sends...
-- aem sends...
CW wrote:

I've never seen one that wasn't.
Steve Barker wrote:

In the old days, usually a good grade of cast iron...
-- aem sends...

steel is just cast iron with less carbon. ;-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel
some table saws have stamped steel extension tables(wings),and a cast iron center section.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Go down to your local tool dealer and look around. Jet, Powermatic, Grizzly, Saw Stop, General, et, et, et. Non have steel tops.
CW wrote:

Well the one i just got for Christmas is solid cast iron. I wouldn't even walk by an aluminum one. what a joke that would be.

Every one that I have ever seen was wood, Plexiglas, or plastic. I have never seen a steel or aluminum table saw top. Because I have never seen one, you all must be wrong, and I must be right. Hope this helps you guys out. Which way did you come in?
Steve ;-)
CW wrote:

In

Come on over; got two here. Delta brands. One ancient, the other abt 5 years. They still make the steel, I"ve seen it in the stores. It costs more is all, but it's less likely to suffer from dings etc..
Live in the moment;

Got a link?

You don't say what type of grime you have and what the saw table is made of, but the saw table looks like the one I am using today. Mine is cast iron with a rough milled surface. I use mine for many things because I am short of table space. Often the top gets a little rust, paint splatters and who knows what on the surface. With the not-too-smooth milling on the surface, the stuff really bonds. I have found that a good solvent such as lacquer thinner will remove the dissolvable materials and a run over with a belt sander with a 120 grit aluminum oxide belt cleans it up and even smoothes the milled surface without taking off more than a fraction of a thousandth inch of iron. Don't use a belt intended for metal grinding as it will be too aggressive, aluminum oxide is good as it will wear down on iron before it does any damage.

The hairiest solvent commonly available is methylene chloride. Non- flammable, volatile, causes cancers in California. Buy it at your paint store in bodied formulations such as StripEase paint remover. Follow directions. It will cut old roofing tar/cement easily based on my experience. The resulting goop will need lots of paper towels preferably placed in the outdoors trash can ASAP. Buy the smallest amount you can as the stuff does tend to corrode the metal cans if some casual moisture is present. If this sounds too scary, try some of the solvents made by 3M and found at autobody supply stores. The pros that refinish cars have some really heavy duty stuff for cleaning prior to paint.
Joe
On 1/1/10 12:35 PM, Joe wrote:

LMAO!
--

-MIKE-

Well, gee. The whole State of California knows that it causes cancer. Says on the label.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus