Can't lift grime of table saw

Page 2 of 5

Leaded? That would explain a lot. (just kidding, just kidding)
Max
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 08:14:21 -0700, Max wrote

I used gasoline as a degreaser when I was a kid in the 60's/70's. The then 'new' unleaded was like using water. A real disappointment!

I read somewhere that it was intended for internal combustion engines. :-)
Max
You mean it Can't lift grime of table saw?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You're trying to join the flippancy, right?
Max (my OE is set to post responses at the end of a post)
And I just burped!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

You don't use it by the gallon. You just put a little on a rag, then set the can away from where you are working. Outside, preferably.
And never run with scissors in your hand. You could put yer eye out.
Steve

No you are supposed to soak the whole saw in it while smoking. The flames will reduce the residue (and the saw) to nothing. Then when you wake up in the burn unit, You can think about what new saw you want.
I have used in the past.....gas, kerosene, diesel (works great on getting really thick grease off of your hands), brake cleaner, pumice hand cleaner, a wire cup for an angle grinder, a heat gun and scraper, an automotive or industrial degreaser, or the sandpaper route. Though with the sandpaper route, I would start at 150 grit and on a half sheet sander.
You might want to try penetrating oil and a scotch brite pad as well.
Allen (who is running with scissors and untied shoes after I have put out a grease fire with a big cup of water)

"a little on a rag" for HIS tablesaw top? it would evaporate before achieving much.
If -I- were trying his task,I'd take the top off and get it hot-tanked and beadblasted,or try to find a bin large enough to cover it in kerosene,for a good,long soak,before attacking with fiber scrub pads.
and you think fires can't start outside? ever hear of static electricity?
You "fearless" guys....hospitals just love you.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

LOOK OUT BEHIND YOU, JIM!
Jim Yanik wrote: (snip)

And we have a winner! If OP wants this thing to look showroom-new, and if he can take it apart and be able to put it back together, and he is willing to spend the cash, best solution is to take top down to local metal treating company, and get it tanked/blasted and protectively coated. It has been a while, but I once had a 36" gear, off a crane or something, that I bought at a garage sale. Rusty as hell, caked grease, etc. Took it in there and they handed it back in a couple of days looking like new. Teeth were still square and pretty. Cost about 30 bucks, but that was 10-12 years ago, so probably 50-some now.
(Gear is still sitting at my brother's house, outside, still not rusty. Was gonna make a sundial out of it, but never got around to it.)
-- aem sends...
If a stopped clock is right twice a day, what is a stopped clock construction project?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

And never remove the guard from a table saw. And Radial arm saws are extremely dangerous. And dust explosions have happened in ungrounded dust collection systems And...........................
Max

I was just throwing gas on Jim Yanik's gas paranoia fire.
Steve

I surmised as much. I thought I would add a little fuel.
Max

How in the heck did we survive? Lawn darts. Lead paint. Spud guns. Stuff they have taken off the shelves and now you have to pay big bucks on ebay. We've protected the current generation from so much harm and evil and dangerous things.
And look at the results. Now instead of your brother stapling you with the Arrow T50 stapler, they go pay fifty bucks for someone to do it to them.
Steve

I've always considered that lead paint was a leading cause of our current batch of politicians and the people who elect and support them. <Grin>
--
Nonny

No need to pay. I did my own.

Only ungrounded PVC piping...