Can't ID Tubular Thing

Does anyone know what the thing pictured in the link might be?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Could be a lot of things. Coffee table base, for one. Any signs of attachment points or wear on it?

RicodJour

Looks like a chess set.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Art?

Or wine bottle storage?

Newspaper storage?

Enigma?

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

It's a sculpture made from walkers.

Or a glass top coffee table on end, missing the glass.

Is that a little bag of potato chips?

Are you painting or always have the paint cans stacked up there?

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Coffee table base was my first guess.

This is at my son's appartment many miles away. I'd already asked him about holes for screws or wear marks indicating brackets or other attachments. I'll report back his findings.

Reply to
Pavel314

If it's meant to support a glass top there will be holes for those little barbed rubber bumpers on the top side.

RicodJour

Not sure but I think it's a tubular thing, circa 2009.

Where did your son get it?

Reply to
mm

Like others have said, it looks like it could be a lot of things...

It definitely appears to be constructed of two 10 foot long lengths of EMT conduit which have been welded together...

Those curves are too uniform to have been bent by hand, so it had to have been bent on some sort of CNC bending machine...

It looks as if it was created to be a functional piece of art, given that it could be put to many different uses, perhaps it has no pre-defined purpose it was created to fill...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

Would make a nifty rack for four micro- or park-sized model planes.

Dave

Reply to
Dave__67

.

Update from my son:

"It is unmarked. No holes or areas indicating clams. As it measures

16 3/4 x 6 3/4 x 5 inches it would be a very small table base."

Origin:

"A friend of mine got married and when they joined their possessions I got a load of the leftovers. The mystery item was in it."

Reply to
Pavel314

Fancy metal wine rack,

Reply to
Denis G.

If the friend is still a friend, ask.

Reply to
Peter

I like the 'wine rack' idea, and would add that it hangs below a plank shelf (the plank goes through the end loops where they stick up a little farther).

It looks too tippy stood on end.

Reply to
whit3rd

Then why not ask him, or do you know the answer and are simply torturing us? ;-)

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Mebbe some machine shop guy just wanted to mess with the collective head of the universe, and created it just to drive people crazy. Pass it on to somebody, knowing that She would think it was too ugly to have it in the living quarters, but He would think it too valuable to throw out. Lather, rinse, repeat. No telling how many households it could go through before somebody got frustrated enough to crush it or cut it up.

Don't think it is a wine rack, under-shelf or otherwise. No provision for keeping bottle tilted, and not enough holes. Some sort of drying rack for newly finished parts or trim, maybe?

Reply to
aemeijers

Rotate 90 degrees clockwise and it looks like a letter or folder organizer - you know, one of those things where you stand the bills you have to pay now on the left, the ones you can put off until next week in the middle, and the ones you can ignore on the right :-). It may be a little short to hold up a regular 8.5x11" manila folder but it would definitely handle letters.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames

Standing as-is, it could hold 4 or 5 separate stacks of letters or a little platform with a candle... Rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise it could hold 3 stacks of letters or a nick-knack shelf... Rotated 90 degrees clockwise it could maybe hold folders or magazines the long way (but doesn't really look heavy enough)...

You need three of them to really mess with people's heads.

Reply to
Larry Fishel