Can't get the faucet apart

The 21 year old bathroom sink is starting to leak. After taking off the decorative faucet handle, I can only see a metal tab (what do you call that?) to be used to loosen to take the faucet apart. When I tried to turn CCW that with a small, then large crescent wrench, I applied so much pressure that I was worried that something would break, but it hasn't come loose yet.

Photos are here:

The top metal piece seems to be the only way to take it apart. You can see in the photo that it started to warp from the high torque. Do I keep cranking until something happens (and hope I don't bust something)?

Reply to
Thad Smith

Nehmo

For completeness, out of the spigot or at the base of the handle, or somewhere else?

STop doing that.

Do you mean the gold colored piece or the silver one?

Have you tried to take off the gold cylinder, the one that is pretty much the only piece showing in picture 2?

First use your hands.

If that doesn't work, the best tool for that is one of the flexible rubber disks with loads of rows and columns of tiny bumps. You're wife might have one. I don't know where you can buy them. I've only seen them as giveaways, with advertising on them. And they dry out after about 10 years, so it would be good to know where to buy only one or two (I know where to buy 500.)

What else would be pretty good is a tool sold in plastic and rubber, mostly in the last 5 years, that has long been sold in metal for removing auto oil filters. It looks roughly like a P, and is arranged so that if the base of the P is pushed in the right direction, the top of the P grips what it is wrapped around. If it what it is wrapped around is still a circle, it can take an awful lot of force and not collapse. Your gold thing still looks like a circle to me, but I can't see where you say it is "warped".

Anyhow the goal would be to rotate it back and forth until it is loose, gradually pulling it up and off as you rotate it. Don't grip it any tighter than you need to to rotate it.

Underneath you'll probably see a bigger nut than the one you are working on, and that is the one that should be undone.

Box and end wrenches are better than crescent wrenches, but in this case the crescent (adjustable) wrench is probalbly fine. It's all I had when I started, and I think it is still what I use for faucets.

mm

Pond liner works well for things like this. You can find it at garden centers which deal in backyard pond supplies, and it's sometimes sold by the foot, from a big roll. It's much tougher than plain rubber, but can be cut into convenient shapes with scissors. It's thick enough that you can wrap it around something you don't want to scratch, but still use pliers or a pipe wrench, and the tool's teeth won't cut through the material.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Spigot.

I hope I stopped soon enough.

The silver one.

That was the key. The cylinder was pulled up with a little bit of wiggling. The top nut fooled me, since I thought it was anchored solid, but internally it slips over the valve stem. I am NOT a pro at this. ;-)

I see that it has a ceramic disk. I have never fiddled with those. I suppose that's a testament to their reliability. Off to the hardware store!

Thanks for all the help, folks.

Reply to
Thad Smith

Thanks a lot. I'll look there. Some girl called me pond scum, so I had to go there for a remedy anyhow.

mm