can't get 24"-wide insulation. what can i do?

in my garage conversion, the studs in the two inner walls -- i.e. walls between the outside two bays of the garage -- are about 24" apart. i was planning on using r13 insulation batts but come to find out that in my area literally no one has r13 in that size, nor can they get it. it's 15" or nothing for the 2x4s. so:
how much insulating power am i giving up by going to r11, which i can get in the right width? remember: these are inner walls; but the space on either side is unheated.
or maybe i could get the 15" stuff and use 1 1/2 batts per opening?
or i could add more studs.
what do you think?

Use the R-11. The thermal bridging with added studs would offset any improvement due to the additional insulation, and it would sure dent your wallet more than the cost any enegry saving.
Use the loose fille insulation.
On 4 Nov 2005 11:34:00 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

use 6" deep insulation, and squash it, or use correctly sized insulation and cut the batts into 2' lengths, and put them in sideways.

Not a good idea -- he'd probably wind up with a lower R-value than if he just used R-11 insulation of the proper size. It's not the fiberglass that provides insulation, it's the *air* trapped in it. Squash the air out of it, and you're reducing its ability to insulate.

Lots of work, and lots of gaps where air can leak through. Better to just use R-11 insulation of the proper size.
--
Regards,

Unless you squash it really far, 6" R20 insulation will come out to about R11 when stuck in a 4" wall. A waste of money, but the insulation value is okay.
Either running cut batts sideways, or simply slicing a batt in half lengthways, and putting it in side-by-each with a full batt will work with a more predictable R-value, and not waste money.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Goedjn wrote:

Use an electric carving knife for the cutting. Works swell.
Also works swell on foam rubber.
Even after your coldest night I doubt you would notice the difference. R11 is fine; geez, it is only 2 feet wide.
thanks all -- r11 it is.

have you call the contractors? Every time I get ready to insulate I check the prices at the Borg stores and then call come contractors. They usually get my check cause they are not any more money and I do not have DIY.
i got some 3.5" X 23" faced insulation at Home Depot recently.
bill

bill: i think it depends on where you live. i've called a couple of local HDs and the nearest Lowes and nada.
oh well: guess the r11 is going to have to do.
Call an insulation company or any commercial drywall supply house. 24" R 19 batts are normal materials for lay in ceilings. Your big choices will be whether you want it cut into 2x4, faced/unfaced.

I don't know if this link will work for you. Found 23 inch fiberglass on their site.
Searched the Owenscorning.com web site... (see link below). They sell r13 in the 23" size.
Before reaching this final site the company's search indicated that some insulation is sold only in certain geographical areas. You may call and them tell them about your problem. Maybe they'd be willing to help you out.
http://www.owenscorning.com/around/insulation/products/pfgi.asp