Can't find plugged defrost tube

My sister-in-law has an Amana Model TM16SPG. Its a top freezer, about 18 = cu.ft. Water drips and occasionaly pours from the freezer into the = refrigerator section via vent holes or the refrigerator light assy. . = So, it appears that the defrost tube is plugged and I cannot find it. In = researching this problem on the internet there seems to be 2 usual = approaches. The tube can be accessed by either some kind of cup on the = back wall of the refrigerator next to the temp control or by removing = the back wall of the freezer. In this case, there is no "cup" next to = the temp control and I removed the freezer's back panel. The evaporator = extends below the bottom of the freezer and the tube is inaccessible = from there. There is a 3" long weird tubular plastic piece that bisects = the back upper seam of the refrigerator section at a 45 degree angle. = There is no drain tube running along the back of the refrigerator.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated (again), Lar

Reply to
Larry B

If you have a drain pan down at the floor, the drain tube is dumping into that pan. The pan used to be removable, though many don't remove now. There will be a fan blowing heat from the coils/condenser across the pan to evaporate the water. Once you find the tube, blow in it or follow it on up.

Reply to
DanG

That is disgusting!!! I'll give it a try. That shouldt blow it out, but = will it be likely to go back down and plug it again after a short time?

Reply to
Larry B

it be likely to go back down and plug it again after a short time?

Andy comments:

Not with your mouth, Shirley !!! :>))

Use your wife's hair dryer, or a vacuum cleaner on "blow"

If you use the hair dryer, make sure that the heat doesn't melt something plastic. The idea is to not only clear the pipe, but the buildup of ice around the top of the pipe......

An alternative is to take all the food out and put it into an ice chest, and leave the fridge unplugged for a couple days with the doors opened..... Pain in the ass, tho.... I prefer the hair dryer.

I've only had to do this once, and the problem hasn't re-occurred....

It depends on the humidity, and how many times the kids open the door. UNLESS your defrost heater is burned out. You'll know within a couple of days.

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Reply to
Andy

I checked the Amana site and no information came up for that model number. You should check the model number again to be sure it's correct. Sometimes a letter and number can look the same.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

but will it be likely to go back down and plug it again after a short = time?

I don't think that its ice. When I opened up the back of the freezer, = the coils were pretty frost-free.

Reply to
Larry B

but will it be likely to go back down and plug it again after a short = time?

the coils were pretty frost-free.

I was wrong. It was ice. Here is the deal, in case someone else with = this unit has a similar issue.=20

What I thought was a freon line on the back of the unit was a drain = line. I followed it up to where it goes into the unit. I removed the = rubber piece that accepts the hose in the back and the other end is a = plastic tube that acts as a funnel for the drain port. That tube is the = one that I had noted in my first posting that cuts across the top back = seam of the refrigerator at a 45 degree angle. I used a hair dryer and = blew down into the back of the unit though the coils. Once the water = stopped, I knew that I was home free. I guess the only question is = whether it will last a day, a week or a year. Meanwhile, lookin' good! = Thanks for your help!!

Reply to
Larry B

If the top of the tube is frozen, that's not likely to do much good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It's possible for the coils to be frost free, and the drain to be clogged with ice. I've repaired that kind of moment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Are you sure it's a defrost tube that is clogged and not an issue with the icemaker (assuming it has one)?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated (again), Lar

Reply to
Mark

Oh yeah. The drain port was filled with solid ice... and there is no = icemaker in this case. Thanks.

Reply to
Larry B

Run a little dilute bleach through the tube while you have everything taken apart. Mildew growth is a common cause of blockage.

Reply to
SteveBell