Can't find out if neutral is bound to the ground

Hi,

I was checking the main panel at a cabin in the country I bought last year and I have a question. The main panel is right below the counter, and in it comes four wires: The two hots, the neutral, and an unstripped ground which is tied to the ground bus in the panel.

I know that normally, in the main panel, the neutral must be connected to the ground. But it isn't here. Maybe it is in the counter box, but it's sealed by the utility and I can't open it to check. I can't find out and I don't want to risk double-binding the ground.

Is there any way that I could check if the neutral is connected to the ground without opening the counter box?

Thanks

Note: Please reply in the newsgroup. The e-mail used in this post is a spam-collection address and I don't read it.

Reply to
voltaire123

Thanks Rick and RBM, I will check for a bonding screw next week-end. I was expecting a bonding wire. :)

There is no main disconnect. That panel is outside and cannot be turned off. Not sure this is legal, but the utility did connect it once. It seems that the previous owner just left that temporary service entrance there and started 4 circuits from it. I've converted that panel in a pseudo-disconnect by removing all the breakers and putting a lone 40Amp in it, with another sub-panel inside. This may not be perfect but it's good enough for a small hunting cabin.

Thanks

Reply to
voltaire123

Reply to
RBM

counter,

connected

Look at the instructions printed on the panel door for the location of the bonding screw or jumper first...

Reply to
Rick