Can't beat Amish craftsmanship!

Page 4 of 6
On Dec 31 2008, 4:02�pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Cite?
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 21:34:29 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

http://tinyfrog.wordpress.com/2008/07/19/growing-up-amish /
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/07/15/escaping-the-amish-part-1 /
http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2008/07/17/escaping-the-amish-part-2 /
You might also want to do a little googling on Amsih Animal cruelty.
The bottom line is that the whole sales pitch that romanticizes the Amish as some sort of quaint and wonderful throwback to simpler and more "genuine" times is fabricated. They just have better PR people than the Hells Angels and the Taliban. The states where they live make a LOT of money off that false image, so they aren't about to do anything to hurt business. You won't find a lot of information because they work very hard to supress it. They are a little harder to infiltrate than the KKK, and look how long it took to take THAT organization mostly apart.
On Jan 2, 5:36�am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You give three links to stories about the same person, and you want that extended to the whole community? By the way, do you know what an unbiased source is? A website dedicated to "athiesm, evolution, skepticism" hardly qualifies.
OK, we have established that you don't like the Amish. Now, instead of taking a single story about a supposed event that allegedly happened to someone else who has a bone to pick with the Amish and spreading unsubstantiated stories about the Amish in general, why not acknowledge that, if this did happen, it appears to be an isolated incident. Then tell us what your real problem is with the Amish. It's a lot easier to win arguments when they aren't based on fabrications that can be uncovered as such later. Of course, it is certainly possible to poison the well and raise doubts among those who look no further, but the backlash can be hell...
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 08:35:49 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

The account I gave a link for is a FIRST HAND account. If you dismiss that so easily, then it's obvious that it is you that has the agenda and bias.
On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 11:49:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

It is a first hand account - yes - but I would say she has an axe to grind. Does it happen sometimes? In some communities? Undoubtably - but it is NOT part of their religion. It happens in ALL communities, to one extent or another - not unique to the Amish.
If a young person does not want to become an adult Amish, they are free to leave. They WILL be shunned - to their community they will be no better than the "english" - they will not be allowed to associate with their own people. THAT is true.
I grew up in an Amish area, and currently live in an area with many Old Order (as well as other) mennonites, and about 30 miles from "amish country"
On Jan 2, 6:36am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

This man know what he speaks as I was brought up in a Mennonite family and know the Amish and Mennonite dogma well I wa 'shunned' and not able to speak to my own (adopted) mother for 20-30 years due to not going to their church as was beaten into me repeatedly as a child to do so ...to the point of broken and damaged ears and hearing organs which plague me to this day
Amish and Mennonites are only romanticized in my area (lanc county) as they bring a lot of tourist dollars into the county. Not like it once was but the Amish and Mennonites themselves have learned how to capitalize on their mis-truths and the outsiders naivete
------

add this link and read of the mennonites as well they call it HOLY KIDNAPPING
http://www.factnet.org/discus/messages/3/19595.html?1154167641

largely Mennonite community (Waterloo County, and Woolwich Township - Ontario) and am still Mennonite.
Raised Old Conference (Now MCEC) currently Mennonite Brethren (Russian Mennonite) Some family still in MCEC, some Old Order, some Conservative, and I love 'em all.
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:48:43 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

It is not, regardless what the media may report, the "norm".
MOST are very loving husbands and fathers.
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:44:26 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

It's a religious cult, and these are part of their belief system. Women and children are property, and it is considered a good thing to beat them regularly. Gods will, ya know!

That is not true.
Cheri

Cite?
On Dec 31 2008, 10:25am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You are the one making the claim, back it up. She does not have to as that wouild be trying to prove a negative.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

Exactly right, you beat me to it.

If you were Amish, your father would have beat you instead of Harry K. It's god's will. If your father didn't beat you and your mother regularly, you would go to hell.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 14:51:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Absolutely false.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 17:28:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Absolutely true.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote: .

Who cares? They still make hand-crafted stoves!
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I see you conveniently ducked what was asked of you. You made (and keep on making) the bizarre assertions you are making without any supporting evidence. Other than continuing to repeat yourself what evidence can you offer?

well amish do have antiquated ideas of how women should be treated, and inbreeding of such a small society is a problem. recently some inspectors showed up at a amish puppy mill, so the amish guy killed 500 defenseless dogs.
such behavior is well theres no excuse. he didnt want to meet the minimum rules.
pennsylvania is passing a law to prevent this from ever happening again
amish are unnecessarily attacked. not long ago a amish school was vandalized smashing some irreplaceable hand operated equiptement