Can't beat Amish craftsmanship!

Page 3 of 6
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/story/Amish-Fireplace-Ad-Will-these-lower-your-heating/L3YHiZwE-UOwQiHRZ5ZFIg.cspx

Barnum was right.....
But the folks selling those must be doing ok or they couldn't support their huge advertising budget.
The "EdenPure" is another example of a grossly overpriced electric heater marketed with a huge ad campaign.
One kilowatt of electric resistance heating always produces 3414.42594972 Thermal BTUs/Hr. The distribution of those BTUs can vary depending on the style of the heater, presence of fans, etc., but you can't get something for nothing.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
HeyBub wrote:

http://www.wcpo.com/content/news/localshows/dontwasteyourmoney/story/Amish-Fireplace-Ad-Will-these-lower-your-heating/L3YHiZwE-UOwQiHRZ5ZFIg.cspx

I've been amused by this. When I drive through Amish country around here, it is easy to spot their farms and houses as they are the ones with no electrical or phone service. Also understand they do not like their pictures taken. They are good at woodwork.

re: Also understand they do not like their pictures taken.
Then who are all of those bearded guys making the wooden mantles in the commercial?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Who knows? Real Amish or not, the ad is misleading, but aren't all ads misleading ;)

Professional models of course....
A young Amish model named Gretchen, Bragged "Bullemia keeps me so fetchin'. Perhaps exercise, Would slim down my thighs, But I save lots of time by just retchin'."
Jeff

hahah Do you see how they are using hammers and nails on finished woodwork It is all TV hype They pack the units and place the heaters into the wooden units before shipment
The amish part is simply a ploy to get suckers to buy thinking amish make good products (here's a clue--come to my county--amish country--and ask a general slice of craftsman about the quality of amish craftsmanship you will get an earful
they are always being fined and sued for inferior workmanship no houses here

Flat hat butchers!
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 18:33:41 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@juno.com"

Some of their furniture etc is "rustic", but that's what a LOT of people want. It's solid, old fashioned, peasant fare. Would I have the Amish build me a $500,000 suburban house? Or a "french provincial" dining room st? Not likely, but some of the very best high end construction in these parts is done by Mennonite workers (some of them quite "conservative") working for a couple VERY well respected Mennonite contractors .
So narrow your Tar Brush.
On Feb 5, 11:39pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Of course, being Mennonite you will refute and do it in your own way
Mennonites/Amish are maestros of the passive-aggressive attack. Its one of the ways they enforce conformity

Jose, enough. You have made your point. You are an angry man who just happened to have been raised Mennonite. You'd be just as angry if you were raised Catholic, Lutheran, Unitarian, or "politically correct".
Everyone on the list now knows where you stand, and what your favourite axe is to grind. You are entitled to your sad opinion, but you'd be happier if you got some anger management.

They're just people with pretty much the general range of aptitudes of any other group...that includes there are good eggs and "not so much" although the preponderance tends to be a little lower.
dpb wrote:

What they do seem to have is a sense of quality and durability that doesn't seem to be common in general consumer goods. I'm not saying that EVERY Amish-made product is superior to the one you buy in a department store, but the furniture I've seen is definitely superior - all solid woods, none of that veneer over chipboard crap. Better, smoother finishes. Paneled doors are really paneled doors, not a glued up panel routed to look like one. etc. etc. etc.
Of course I come from a fairly frugal family of mostly German ancestry, so the Amish and I probably have at least a little in common as to how we look at physical goods...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Do Germans also beat their wives and children, and consider them property?
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Not that I'm aware, but I haven't heard that of the Amish either. (the area where I grew up had a small but noticeable Amish/Mennonite population.) FWIW the Amish are probably *more* German than I.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

It doesn't get much press because portraying them as rustic romantics is far more profitable for Hotels, bus tours, and the many other businesses that benifit from tourism in Pennsyvania.
wrote:>>>> Of course I come from a fairly frugal family of mostly German ancestry,

Baloney! It doesn't get much press because it doesn't happen that much.
Cheri

So you are saying you are aware that it happens?

Of course it happens, just as it's happened around the world since time began, but it's not the norm, anymore than it's the norm for men to be wife/child beaters just because some of them are.
Cheri

going way off topic--- it depends on how seriously they take their religion. In christianity, as set down 1600 years ago, women are property and children are disposable.

It's a religious cult, and this behavior is part of their belief system. Women and children are property, and it is considered a good thing to beat them regularly. Gods will, ya know!