Can't beat Amish craftsmanship!

Page 2 of 6

The fact you find them intelligent means you have not had much contact with them there are a few but very few who have IQs above room temperature
Ask him sometime WHY he believes what he believes--they stutter and stammer but cannot answer
Here They use 30kw gensets in their barns as they run at a lower speed and diesel is cheaper and their barns are huge and need lots of power They wont drive a car but hire people to do it for them and they like that as it makes them feel special--like a movie star and they DO feel above the rest of society here in lancaster county where they live and laugh at the tourists as they fleece them for their money
I ought to know ===sadly, my father is a mennonite amish type and has refused to talk to me for 30 years as I wont go to his church Its a cult --no more-no less

With the vitriol boiling in your viens I figured you had some kind of an axe to grind..
Go make peace with your Dad. To do so you will have to swallow your pride and give him some respect - He's living HIS beliefs. You are living yours.
Look for the good in people and you will find it. Show the good in you and others (mabee even your father) will find it too.
Perhaps the money from the tourists has corrupted a fair number from Lancaster County - my ancestors left Hershey,Hammer Creek and Peoria over 150 years ago.

Absolutely. I've found rather than buy particle board furniture, it's worth paying twice as much for big-particle board furniture.
Just kidding. You're right.
Sometimes with men's clothes, if you spend twice as much, you get something that lasts 4 or 8 times as long. Etc.

and sometimes the exact opposite, ie: designer jeans.

Funny you should mention that... I used to be a Levi's snob, but AFAICT their quality isn't any better than anyone else's today. Needed a new pair of jeans over the holidays, bought a pair of Wranglers for $16 at Target (spoken with a French accent, of course.) They had Levi's one rack over for more $$ but I couldn't tell them apart from one another if you covered the labels. Last pair of Levi's I bought (at a real Levi's store, not the cheap ones you get in department stores) got a hole in the denim right over the right front pocket after maybe 6 mos. of wear... not going to pay $40 for that again.
nate
N8N wrote:

That may have been intentional. Levi-Strauss is a gay-friendly company.
HeyBub wrote:

You sure seem to pay a lot of attention to the gay world, for a presumably straight guy...
But as to Levi-Strauss- they are naught but a brand name now, just like all the others. I don't think they have operated any of their own plants in at least ten years, and I haven't seen 'made in USA' on any of their products in longer than that. It made me sad when that happened- I used to be a loyal customer. I started drifting away when they tried to become a fashion company, rather than a vendor of durable reasonably priced clothing. Because of the long-term contracts they had with the 'name' department stores, they had to bring out a cheap line (aka 'signature series') to get space at wally world and such. No tabs, and no pocket stitching. But even their fancy line has gone to hell- only a couple colors and styles, sky-high prices, way too much catering to urban hood styles, etc. And I haven't seen the real jean jackets in at least 10 years.
For a couple years, one of the other manufacturers (Dickie, I think) made a pretty good knockoff of the 550 5-pocket style, in several non-blue normal colors, and not pre-frayed. I could even wear them to the office. But alas, those too have vanished. When the ones I have now wear out, I'll be trapped in khaki hell till something else comes along. I don't do 'dress' pants, so my choices are limited.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

I wouldn't have to if they'd simply paint themselves in vivid colors.
Well, some DO, actually -- but I mean all of them.
It's well known that Global Warming was caused by the AIDS quilt...

Same here: now I just buy whatever carpenter pants or jeans I see at a good price that fit reasonably well. I do have a pair of black Levi's reverse cut jeans that are a model discontinued around 1986 or so (when I bought them); I could never find another pair like these, and they are in perfect shape, albeit faded from years of wear. They don't fit, sadly, so I'm holding them for one of my nephews or niece to grow into because by that time they'll be vintage, probably.

what an idiotic comment.
On 1/2/2009 2:56 PM AZ Nomad spake thus:

Actually, it's true. That may have been written as an irrelevant joke, but it is a San Francisco-based company that is gay-friendly (a credit to them in my book, but whatever).
Funny you should mention that... I used to be a Levi's snob, but AFAICT their quality isn't any better than anyone else's today. Needed a new pair of jeans over the holidays, bought a pair of Wranglers for $16 at Target (spoken with a French accent, of course.) They had Levi's one rack over for more $$ but I couldn't tell them apart from one another if you covered the labels.
Couple of months ago I bought a pair of Dockers from Casual Male for $50 or so. A few weeks later I bought a pair of George brand slacks at WalMart for $20. The details of the two are identical. Even some pocket stitching and so forth is identical. Difference is the label and price tag.

Many years ago I worked briefly for Catalina Swimwear (which was an expensive brand at the time) the same swim suits and sportswear also went out under a different label and were cheaper. Same stuff, different price.
Cheri

Cites?

Why don't you believe her? I've been in manufacturing for the past 45 years. Companies I've worked for did the same exact thing, selling under different labels. Products include heaters, air conditioners (both residential and industrial), frozen dinners, automobile parts and more. This is very common knowledge. Industrial unit heaters we made under three names. We even put Westinghouse labels on them and use GE and Century motors on them. How about this: Ford and Mercury. Olds and Pontiac, Chrysler and Mitsubishi. Kenmore and every brand imaginable. Cites my ass, I've seen it done!

Exactly. Just look to the big 3 automakers. Same car, different name (Chev, Pontiac), different price. Only difference was a bit of trim change.
Harry K

VERY common occurence, particularly since NO-ONE makes anything in America anymore. Several companies buy the same product from the same offshore manufacturer and have their "brand" put on it. One brand is upscale, and sells for more than the other "lowscale" brand.
Worse yet, an "upscale" brand has an offshore (usually Chinese) company make something for them with their namee on it, to their design, and said offshore manufacturer sells "excess production" to other resellers at reduced cost - and opens another factory to produce the "over-runs"
I've been in that situation, where computer cases designed by the company I worked for, and built with injection molds we paid for, were sold in "asian sources computing" magazine for less than half our cost, before we even got our first shipment.

Just presenting her with a request to meet the same standards to which she holds others.

They must subscriber to the notion that it is a sin to let a sucker keep his money.
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:17:36 -0600, AZ Nomad

The advertizing/marketting company is, to the best of my knowledge, not Amish. They are contracted to supply the "mantles"