Can't adjust the Pilot light in my Gas Stove (flame too big)? adj screw.

My pilot light flame has gotten too big recently, it goes past the two sensors. I found the adjustment screw on the honeywell valve, but the flame does not respond to the adjustment. I tried unscrewing it all the way (using a very small flat screw driver) to see if the spring is stuck, but there is no spring. My stove is a Vermont casting stove about 6 years old. Any ideas? Also, curious what made the pilot light get bigger to begin with? thanks

here is a picture of the gas valve.

adjustment above the two wire leads.

valve model VS8420E

stove model: rdv40

Reply to
AA VVVV

I'd guess the orifice...

--

Reply to
dpb

You could try squeezing the line between the valve and the flame point, otherwise try soldering the orifice closed and then redrilling the opening, but it may be impossible to find that small a drill bit.

Reply to
hrhofmann

AA VVVV wrote the following:

I can't help, but I'm surprised that a 6 year old gas stove would still have a pilot light rather than electronic ignition.

Reply to
willshak

I have a Vermont Castings barbecue. I love it. It is quality stuff.

Before I would go and do something that might void any warranty or factory assistance you might otherwise get for free, I'd call or write them and ask. If the flame was too small, I'd say that the orifice was a little clogged.

I have a propane stove in my cabin. On the pilots, they burn yellow because there is no air mixture (that I can see) to adjust them. Look around and see if, like a burner, there is an air adjustment, which will probably look like a sliding perforated thingy. If you find one, CAREFULLY take it apart, and either vacuum it out, use a pipe cleaner, or take the line loose and blow backwards with a little compressed air or you or your wife if you have a little lung power. From the sounds of it, I'd say that is your problem, but not being there ......... BLOW BACKWARDS because if you blow it towards the orifice, it will just stick in the orifice. A cheap set of tip cleaners is also available at any welding section, just be VERY CAREFUL, as the small ones are easy to break off in there.

Ask the factory to find out if there is an air adjustment on there.

Or, you could RTFM. ;-)

Maybe go online and find the manual, and troubleshoot.

Don't do any soldering, drilling, or anything like that. I would bet it is a simple problem of something being in there that shouldn't be.

Let us know what it was.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Define too "big". Is it still blue? Does it have yellow tips? If it has yellow tips, it's probably dirty, not allowing sufficient air to mix with the gas.

Reply to
Tom Lachance

you are right, the screw you see is just the cover screw. once I unscrewed it, underneath there is a small flat head screw , that requies a very small screw driver to adjust it. but when I adjust it, pilot light does not respond.

Reply to
lbbss