Can someone recommend a electric lawn mower

Page 1 of 2
Since I feel like I can trust all of you here, because I got so much help from you before, I feel good asking you this question again. We are seniors and can't really pull the cord on our lawn mower anymore. We are being told that Honda is the mower to get. Do they have electric mowers as well? Should we get an electric one with the cord that you have to pull behind you, or one with a battery. We don't have that much to cut, front and side of the house, and a little next to the pool area. We live in California.Any advise is appreciated......... Opa Peter

Is your yard small enough for a push mower? I love mine.
You can't let the grass grow too high though, so in my area I have to mow every six or seven days, especially if it rains a lot during the week.
Thanks Chris......the one we have is a push mower, I don't think we need a self-propelled mower, just the starting is getting too cumbersome.....Peter

a battery start will do OR a all battery or robo mower, that will take care of cutting automatically
I got a battery powered 19" Black & Decker mower. It is heavy due to the batteries, but if there are no hills or steps to worry about, no problem. It only has the capacity to cut about 3000 square feet before running out of pep. (Maybe I'm due for a new set of rechargeables). Expensive when new (abt $400), but I got mine at a B&D 'Outlet" for half that, supposedly reconditioned, but it was like new. Had it for three seasons and happy with it. But due to the amount of plastic on it, I don't think it will outlast my Toro corded electric that I used for 25 years.
Lena
I have the B&D corded electric. I have had no problems with it in 5 years. I also dontt have too much to cut. Next time I may go for the battery . One thing to consider with a corded mower. Depends on where your exterior outlets are and how many obstacles you have to go around, i.e trees, shrubs, pool etc. Its ok if you don't have to backtrack, but if you do you'll end up cutting the cord a few times if youre a slow learner like me,

I meant the kind that isn't electric or gas. Maybe it's called a reel mower. No starter, and no 100 ft of cord to play around with.
Chris
snipped-for-privacy@mcgill.ca wrote:

C'mon, the guy can't pull the cord but he's going to use a manual mower?
A reel mower is gonna be harder on older folks than pulling a cord......
A good reel mower is about as hard to push as a grocery cart, and a lot easier to store than any powered mower.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I'm gonna buy a reel mower myself
But what brand/model is a good one and EASY to push?
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I got mine here
http://www.leevalley.com
Look in the gardening section. I got the 18 inch, but I see they now have a 20 inch model. Mine is quite easy to push, but the grass catcher is useless, so I just let the clippings recycle in place. My only complaint is the handle feels flimsy, but I haven't broken it. When I had one arm in a cast, I was easily able to mow with only one arm.
an electric mower of your favorite brand and a couple of 100-foot outdoor 110v cords and you will be very happy. see: http://www.epinions.com and search for electric lawn mower for your choices
Black and Decker CMM1000 19" Cordless Mulching/Rear Bag Lawn Mower. You don't need to use the rear bag. About $430 at Home Depot, WalMart, etc. Been using it for three years for about 45 minutes of mowing once or twice a week during "the season."
Only complaint is that with tall, thick grass or wet grass it can bog down and stall. OF course, even a gas mower can do that. But this one is more prone to do it. Other than that, a breeze. My kids mostly operate it. It is a bit heavy, but who has to lift it much?
If you want truly automatic: ++++++++++ Auto Mower The Husqvarna Auto Mower is a battery-powered mower that works independently. Mowing in a random pattern for consistent coverage, your lawn is always freshly manicured. The Auto Mower takes itself to the charging station and then returns to the lawn automatically, fully charged. The mower's working area is defined by a boundary loop along the edges of the lawn. The mowing action is continuous and the cuttings are redistributed to the ground as fertilizer. ++++++++++ Husqvarna is a longtime leader in chainsaws. About 10 years ago they introduced these auto mowers, they've been through a few generations of them and I think they have them down pretty well now. Even have a solar charged model.
You can see their website at: http://www.usa.husqvarna.com /
Just go to the lawn and garden section and then to the "auto mowers"
Here's an old reprint from Dec. 2000 issues of popular mechanics:
http://www.friendlyrobotics.com/abou...lawnmower.html

start and it should last for 20 years if taken care of.Or a solar powered robot mower you never have to woryy about.

Battery powered will be heavier, cost more and require replacement batteries every so many years but you'll have no cord.
If you have a place to plug in and you can keep track of the cord, the AC powered one is a better value IMO.

to a dealer you like and push a few around and see what feels right. You will want some hearing protection, when I used them as a kid they were very loud compared to the gas, that may have changed. Ask your dealer if one is louder than another.
battery powered - These are relatively new to the market, have heavy batteries and limited cutting time. I would avoid this type of electric if I were you.
reel mowers - I cant believe someone suggested this for a senior. When I was a kid that's all my grandfather owned. Needless to say I mowed a lot of his grass with one of those. Its tough work.
Electric start gas - This may be OK if you get one that is also self propelled but then you need to guy the gas and deal with maintenance. The electric is zero maintenance beyond keeping the blade(s) sharp.
Electric - just do not run over the cord ;)
Yeah, good advice above. Reel mowers- My Dad had one when I was a kid, though he switched to gas later. When I bought my first house, small yard, I figured I'd try one, feeling I'd be environmentally correct, make less noise, get a good workout. I'd even read somewhere that they cut the grass better- used to see them on golf greens when I lived in England as a kid. So I bought a Husqavarna. I did get a good workout. Didn't cut very well- wondered if there were better models available somewhere. And I didn't know how to sharpen blades properly, or do it regularly. Gave up and bought a Craftsman gas mower after one season. Does anyone know of really good, effective reel mower models?
Generally the more amps the better, that will give it some thick grass cutting power.
I like the handles that flip over so you don't have to turn the mower around. I can keep the cord on the "cut side" this way.
I also like the grass exhaust on one side only. If the grass isn't too tall, this can minimize raking by exhausting to the uncut side.
Some have a "deadmans switch" (you're not dead yet - LOL) to stop the blade immediately when the power handle is released. These can be a pain but add some safety.
snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (Hogwild) wrote:

I believe a motor/engine "kill" switch or blade brake/clutch has been REQUIRED on all powered mowers for years.
After 17-years with a (bought new) Toro with blade brake/clutch, I am now into my fifth or sixth season with a similarly-equipped Honda mower. I have never been inclined to defeat or override the safety feature. However, if I had to use a gas-powered mower with a simple KILL switch (having to REstart it each time I released the handle), I might be inclined to defeat the damned thing.
--
:)
JR