can/should I seal the edges of laminate flooring?

I'm installing laminate flooring an a bedroom adjacent to the bathroom. The transition strip to the vinyl is made of the same stuff. I'd like to keep accidental water spills outa the laminate. I thought about running a thin layer of caulk along the edge of the laminate, but not touching the floor, under the transition strip. to seal it off. But ordinary caulk is water based??? Can the cure be worse than the potential of water spills?

What's the recommended treatment at the joint between laminate in the bedroom and vinyl in the bathroom? Thanks, mike

Reply to
mike

I'd follow the manufactures recommendations. If they don't suggest it I wouldn't do it.

Reply to
NGDirect

An accidental spill of water can be dried and handled right away.

If something breaks and floods the bathroom, while sleeping or on vacation -- caulk won't help. Some portions of the flooring will/may need to be replaced. That depends on the extent of the damage.

Don't worry about it until it happens.

Reply to
Oren

I would run a bead of clear silicone rubber across the whole transition, touching the transition piece and the vinyl bathroom floor. This should make a watertight barrier so that no water can get to the flooring except if it gets deeper than the height of the silicone on the transition piece. I would be especially careful at the edges of the doorway, so that water does not get around the transition piece.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Your concern depends on the laminate. If the lower-priced variety, it is impervious to water.

I took some scraps, miked them, and left them in a glass of water for TWO MONTHS. A subsequent measurement showed no distortion within the limits of my micrometer (0.002 inch). There was no distortion or de-lamination or any other change in the material.

In this case, do what looks best (transition molding, etc.) and forget about any water-based problem.

Reply to
HeyBub