can propane torch be used to fic the blacktop

My driveway is quiete poorly done (probably to thin and with bad support) and so it is cracked and have plants coming in crakcs.Can propane torch (one run from the 10 galon grill tank) produce enough heat to actually melt it to close the cracks, or is it good only to burn grass away? thanks pawel

Reply to
Pawel

be very careful, pointing a propane torch onto concrete asphalt etc can and does cause mini explosions of the stone material......

i did this by accident once, torch fell over in my driveway.

Reply to
hallerb

Nope. Try this site, it gives a good overview:

RicodJour

I still believe regular sealing extends driveway life. my old next door neighbors driveway has been sealed every couple years since I was a kid. I am 48 and that driveway still is ok, and in better shape than the homeowner.

I seriously doubt that driveway would be anything more than rubble if it had never been sealed, its about 45 years old

Reply to
hallerb

Propane torch would be fine for burning away weeds, and you can find several crack fillers at your local home center. After filling the cracks, use sealer as suggested above - I think this combination would be a much better solution than trying to melt your driveway. Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

you're a fire bug

I have set small ravines on fire to remove brush and thicket but never have I BURNED weeds from a drive etc...

you're going to burn the house down!

does your insurance company know your method of maintaining weeds?

"well babe, think ill go trim the weeds..."

most people use a weed eater, YOU whip out the torch you should have never bought an attatchment for the grill tank

tell us, what else have you "burnt" with the grill tank and attatchment

pyro fire bug!

Reply to
Levon

Asphalt will flow when heated. Paving is a mix of asphalt and sand/gravel. The mix will not flow when heated unless pounded into place. Witness that paving crews use tampers and/or rollers to do the job. So your torch isn't likely to accomplish much.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

ahh overreaction.

better to use gasoline to kill the weeds. just a !!!little!!!! poured into the cracks. its not environmetally friendly but I have done this forever. no smoking in area or matches:)

Gasoline poisions the plant completely, within hours its dead. in a couple days it can easily be pulled out.

Reply to
hallerb

my grandpappy would pour salt down each side of the walk, around the mail=-box it woiks

Reply to
Levon

Better to use Roundup to kill weeds, and then a commercial crack sealer as recommended. I like fire too, and don't apologize for it, but this isn't the place to use it. Now maybe that anthill...-Jitney ;-)

Reply to
jtnospam

yeah me neither I like it too!

i cook my dinasour burgers with it