can opener

20 years ago? More?

The can lids, the top seams, lost most of their metal years ago. Ever since it's been difficult to remove the tops. The can opener can't get a good grip. It's a game to make it all the way around a top of the can! I hardly ever do it.

I see a lot of veg cans are now peel back.

Does anyone know of a decent can opener (non electric - not GI) that really works?

I haven't been able to find them. (Three in drawer - all suck)

LOL I just remembered those old peanut cans with the key. We used to stretch out the cut metal and hang them on the Christmas tree! Sharp as hell.

Reply to
oldyork90

Those ultra-cheap can openers are not very good, but once you get up into the $7 range, they are fine.

Pretty much any place should have them.

I don't think I've used one in many years though, everything now has a pull tab. If you have some 20 year old cans of food, I'd not use them.

Reply to
philo

My fav

... small but mighty.

hubops

i've been using one of these, for years

Swing-A-Way 407BK Portable Can Opener

[$10 or less]

marc

Reply to
21blackswan

My favorite is this style from Pamper Chef. It cuts the side of the can , not the top. Leaves a smooth edge, and you can reuse the lid if need be.

's+Tools/Can+%26+Jar+Openers/Smooth-Edge+Can+Opener/2759

Reply to
Retired

P-38, works every time and fits on your keychain.

Reply to
gfretwell

What would happen if Windows (R) made a P-38?

1) You need to click "close" to open a can 2) You need to take the opener out of your pocket every morning, so it would keep working. 3) The window message pops up "do you really want to open this can?"

And, on and on.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

SWMBO giggles each time she uses this one: She'd been looking for one that was comfortable (to hold), easy to use (reduced hand strength), built well, etc.

She was dubious when I came home with it but now comments about how much she likes it each time she uses it!

[I bought ours at Penney's -- with a $10 off coupon. Almost felt like I should have given them a *tip* or something considering how little it cost!]
Reply to
Don Y

Last year the company came up with some sort of half-assed idea for the managers to cook a chili feed for the troops. The bean person soaked the beans overnight but didn't parboil them. We figured the troops would rather eat sometime before 7 PM so a gopher was dispatched for canned beans. Then it was discovered there were no working can openers. I started chewing my way into the cans with my P-38. That got real old by about the 10th can.

The chili eventually got cooked more or less by noon and nobody died of food poisoning, but it did prove that 15 managers could f*ck up a free lunch given half a chance.

They had another bonding exercise last week but sent out for fried chicken and cookies and the office women made some salads. Much better.

Reply to
rbowman

Don't know what you have against electric can openers. Unless you're writing from outside your house, you most likely have electricity where you do your cooking/eating. If you're willing to reconsider, I like the Hamilton Beach 76606ZA. After years of struggling as you do with traditional style can openers, we got this one about 4 months ago. We've had 100% success at fully opening on first attempt every can we've tried, including the ones that were the most problematic with the old can openers. If you need to drain the contents, it takes a little practice, but you can slip back an edge of the open top about 1/16", push it down slightly into the can, and tip. Once you get used to it, you can drain liquids out of the can as effectively as pushing in a partially removed top using a traditional can opener. If you're opening cans while hiking/camping, etc. I've always had excellent luck with the can opener blade on a swiss army knife.

Reply to
Peter