Can my neghbor's mail boxes overhang my property?

Page 1 of 2
I have a dispute with my neighbor in Florida.
His mailboxes for a four-plex are placed on a double post situated on the propery line. The vertical space between the two posts is exactly on the line. Two boxes hang over both properties on a horizontal board..
When I asked him to move the mailboxes so that none would hang over my property his response was; "I checked with the County and your property is set back from the road and since this is County property, I can place my mailboxes there".
Logic tells me that his mail boxes should not be allowed to hang over the line defining my property. After all, If he had 30 rental units, could he hang 15 boxes over my property just because the post was on the line?
BoyntonStu
Ask him who he spoke to.

You will need to find out your local laws. I know there are many places where mailboxes must be placed on only one side of the street (for the convenience of the mail delivery.) An easement is another story. My neighbor had his drain cleanout pipe in my front yard! I dug around it, cut it off, recapped it, and buried it. Too bad if he has a clog!
On 5 Nov 2004 19:10:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aaronj.com (Stu) wrote:

You have great community spirit - I'd hate to be your neighbor.

My mail box (and that of my next door neighbor) are across the street along with the neighbor on that side of the street (3 in a row). Because mail is only delivered on that side of the street. The boxes were there when I moved into the house.
We do not have curbs and sidewalks yet (even though my home built in 1910 is in the city), but the mail boxes are on the public right of way.
what comes around, goes around.
randy

Maybe that's how things were done back when the homes were built. It'll be funny when you're sued.

If he is right, and the county owns that strip which is on the street side of the property setback, you should appeal the issue with the county, if the owner is unwilling to move it. The county, however, could probably care less, and has bigger problems to deal with. In any case, it doesn't seem that we are talking a big inconvenience (two boxes on your side) for you. Where I live, the Post Office, not the county, decides where to cluster boxes for the neighborhood, and some of my neighbors have 5 or 6 boxes in front of their single family homes, but no one is getting spaced out about it.
Roger wrote: Where I live, the Post Office, not

But your neighbors aren't jerks.

He is probably correct. In my case, there is a four foot section of my yard that actually belongs to the town. I paved the driveway across it, maintain the grass and I put my mailbox by the street, but I do NOT own the land. The survey stakes show where my land ends. This is very common in most every area. Towns keep an easement for future road expansion, sidewalks, etc.
A new house was built across the street and the owner put his mailbox right next to mine. I have no say in it as it is not my land and the post office told him what side of the street the box must be on.
If you take matters into your own hands and remove them, you are possibly asking for a lot of legal problems.

My son is an attorney who lives in the house. We do things 'by the book'.
An aside: I placed flood lights to illuminate the 'alley' way between the two houses in order to allow guests to walk to the guest house at night.
My neighbor "took it into his own hands" and spray painted black on the bulbs. There is more to the story than just a few mail boxes overhanging the property line.
The space between houses is only about 14 feet. In fact, the reason he didn't place the mail boxes in fron of his property is that they would have made parkng a little more difficult for his tennants. The prestent mail box location makes our egress a little more difficult.
BoyntonStu
I'm in Florida, If the mailboxes are on your easement - you're responsible for their upkeep and are required to make sure they are constructed in a manner that is conducive to the surrounding neighborhood ambience.

snipped-for-privacy@aaronj.com (Stu) wrote in message

So if your son is an attorney, why are you asking legal questions on usenet?? Damn glad you're not my neighbor.
Harry K

Or his son's father!
snipped-for-privacy@aaronj.com (Stu) wrote in message

If your son is an attorney, did he sue the neighbor for trespass and destruction of property?
Malicious trespass , destruction of property by painting your bulbs black, and you posted here!!! Well give me a beer , im a pro, Ha Ha Your son is an atty. Maybe your son the atty is on top of this, you are not. Or call a good lawyer
Stu wrote:

Wexler. He will fix it for you.
Stu wrote:

It is not the same all over so you need to check your local laws.
It is very common that a strip of land along roads are either owned by the local government or has easement rights. In either case the mail boxes may be legal where they are.
In any case, unless you like making trouble and having neighbors hate you, you would be better off backing down and apologizing.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Mailboxes over the line ! Wow. You need to worry about more important things.

the real joke is how many people felt the need to provide insight into this important topic...
randy