Can Miswired Receptacle Affect Others?

It's telling you that before you tell someone else to "Think about it" you should first spend the time to think it through yourself -- which you obviously didn't.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The neon 'lamp' has 2 parallel rods and it glows orange on voltage (like

OK, Bud, you want me to place one lead in a socket and touch the other lead to myself? I think a little bit of explanation is needed before I would do that! :)

And how come everyone else says you need a ground for those to work?

Have you ever tried that? I saw an eletrician with one of those, and when it was about a few inches from the *entire* outlet, it went off.

-- John

Reply to
John Ross

> The neon 'lamp' has 2 parallel rods and it glows orange on voltage (like

*Neon* test lights operate at very low currents (well under 0.001A IIRC). I believe they have a resistor of around 200,000 Ohms in series with the lamp. If one hand was well grounded and the other hand touched the 2nd lead the current would be so small you probably couldn't feel it. If you are fairly well insulated the current is miniscule (so is the light). (You and the 'real world' form a capacitor and the very small current flows through the capacitor.)

Since I use these testers often, I am rather picky what I buy.

Ask them. I have never owned a 3 prong outlet tester. I always carry a neon test light which is smaller and more versatile. If a circuit is "dead" I typically use the tester to check if there is a hot (open neutral).

It works with the one I use. If it is too sensitive you may not be able to distinguish. You may be able to approach the receptacle from the sides and get an indication. With the outlet pulled out they will give a reliable indication at the terminals. Great for knob-and-tube wiring to pick the hot (neon can also be used as above if the conductor is available).

Reply to
bud--