Can leaking hot water lead to high gas bill?

I live in an apartment building. There are three other apartments. All the windows were just replaced. In the month of DecemberI got a $300 gas bill. I assumed that the heat was too high (the thermostat was at 65 degrees) so I turned the heat OFF and resorted to a single space heater which heats the apartment just fine. My January bill just came and it was...

$300!

When I asked my neighbors what their bills were, they were all roughly around $70. My bill alone was more than all three of theirs combined and the heater wasn't even running.

When I inspected the meter in the basement I found that my hot water heater was leaking a good bit of water. It's being replaced tomorrow.

My question is: could a leaking hot water heater cause a $300 gas bill? And if it can is this something I can dispute with the gas company, or should I with the landlord?

Reply to
CPreksta

If your neighbor left their hot water faucet open 24/7, do you think their gas bill would go up?

Reply to
Bob

Yes, a leaking hot water heater on the hot side can increase your gas bill. If the landlord knew about it ahead of time and did nothing then you might have something to stand on, else you'll just have to eat it. I would periodically check things like that and unnecessary lights being left on. Also, heat/cooling ducts properly wrapped.

CPreksta wrote:

Reply to
Joey

Sure can. Actually is was probably closer to $230 as others paid $70 and you would have also.

Not the gas company. They supply gas at a price and you consumed what they well. They did what they are supposed to do. Landord? Maybe. I don't know the terms of the lease and who would be responsbile for inspecting the property you are using.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
[where? answered as if you were in in buffalo ny] first: notify your landlord and all your fellow tenants in the building, somebody's getting an upcoming high water bill. second: ask the gas company to come out and check to see your meter is allowed to only supply your gas devices, not those of others. with four units under one roof, separate pipes and meters are required, and if a common shared gas burning device is used, the owner must pay for that on a fifth meter. third: ask about balanced billing with your energy suppliers to spread out the cost evenly every month of the year. your neighbors may already have this, so their balanced billing would be lower than your actual usage billing. fourth: buy a water alarm for $10 and a battery at your hardware store or home depot. fifth: have your plumbing checked for leaks and running toilets, even a drizzle of water shows up on a modern water meter. fifth: check your electric meter for electric heater usage, it's not free. if you phone your electric company and have them advise you regarding those meters. in a shared lighted stairwell or basement common areas the landlord is required in ny multiple dwelling to provide the utility lights. do you count 5 electric meters?
Reply to
buffalobill

Thanks for all the input.

There are four seperate meters in the basement. To access the basement you have to go through one of the apartments (not mine) which is why the landlord, nor anyone else, didn't find out about the water heater for some time.

I'm going to ask the landlord if he noticed a higher water bill this month. He's replacing the hot water heater tomorrow. So if the water bill is higher and the gas bill drops as a result of the new one I'll know for sure and hopefully be getting compensated.

Reply to
CPreksta

In a situation like that, he can not say you were negligent. I would thing he'd try to work out something with you. but, OTOH, some landlords are less than caring. Good luck.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That happened to my Father once. High water bills and high gas bills.

That was in an older house. He was never sure if he owned it or was renting (lawyer trouble).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
  1. Mark Lloyd Jan 24, 11:03 am That happened to my Father once. High water bills and high gas bills. That was in an older house. He was never sure if he owned it or was renting (lawyer trouble). "

I think pop had more problems than lawyers and bills.

Reply to
trader4

Yes.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

  1. Correlate your gas meter and water meter as indicators of the consumption of hot water.
  2. Dispute with the landlord would be appropriate only if he has both responsibility and opportunity to maintain the machinery.
Reply to
Don Phillipson