Can I wash windows with plain newsprint?

People have long recommended washing windows with newspaper, but only if printed with petroleum based ink. Everybody prints newspapers with soy ink now.

Can I use plain old newsprint with no ink on it to wash windows?

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

This is a joke isn't it? Wait a minute - is this candid camera? How did you get into my office and how did ya know I'd look at this one? Must be troll-a-vision.

Jim Mc Namara

That's the problem. This old saw pretty much predates Windex, paper towels, etc. Consumer's Report tested this a number of years ago along with conventional window cleaners. Newsprint finished dead last.

DT

Reply to
DThompson

snipped-for-privacy@visi.com

Sucks always asking the print shops to fill up your spray bottles and why are my windows all nasty looking?

Reply to
Optimus Prime

I do this when cleaning and substitute newspaper for paper towels - much more cost effective and environmentally friendly - plus there's always some lying around... I still need a liquid (like windex) to loosen the dirt, but w/o the waste of the paper towel...

Good luck,

Kevin O'

Reply to
Kevin O'

These days, the usual advice is to wash with cloth or paper towels, then polish with newspaper, not newsprinted newspaper. You can get the newspaper unprinted from folks like UHaul who sell it in boxes as packing paper.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

I have always seen people do this with window cleaner and the newspaper, not the newspaper alone.

The problem with paper towels is they leave paper dust all over the windows. That is why I was wondering about newsprint by itself since I work at a newspaper and can get small end rolls for free.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Newsprint is unprinted newspaper. It is the name of the paper they print newspapers on.

Would newsprint remove all the paper dust from the paper towels?

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

clipped

I tried newsprint for washing windows once, with unsatisfactory results. Paper towels do much better, IMO. Cheaper to use clean cotton rags and recycle them.

Reply to
Ramblinon

=== So try it and let us know. I have always found newspaper cuts film/streaks better than paper towels. I learned to wear vinyl gloves when using it, though. === ===

Reply to
gini52

The Seattle times doesn't. They still use petroleum based ink, as it is cheaper. Or at least, that's what they told me when I asked. I suspect many others do also.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Hey, so do I! I work in the pressroom of a, uh, prominent Charlotte newspaper. I never thought about using newsprint for cleaning windows. We use it to put on the floor of the locker room when changing shoes. You can also use it as an endless paper supply for kids to draw on. Other than that, and cleaning windows, we throw away so much paper it would horrify most people...

candeh

Reply to
candeh

Obviously you didn't have the pleasure of serving in the U.S. Army..

Reply to
Tim Johnson