Can I use Shingles??

Eh, I'm still foggy on the original question. Is the person who posted the original question trying to get away with using shingles that are less than what the manufacturer recommends by using some other roof-sealing method and cuttin corners -- oppos, cost -- because he has a ton of some roof sealer crap sitting around in his garage, or something else?

Call me absolutely naieve, but the way I see it, major corporations who manufacturer shingles don't stay in business for a few generations by giving out bad advice about the best use of their own products. But that's just me. Think whatever suits your own self.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

"Larry Davick" wrote in news:byQDb.410430$275.1287754@attbi_s53:

That's how I would do it. Just ice and water the whole roof and shingle it. But I wouldn't do it on a large roof section, because I have heard of cases where it failed. I have, however, done small porch roofs this way (including on my own house) and they didn't leak.

But it is risky, and if it leaks don't be surprised.

Reply to
Manny Davis

Two words: channel drain. It's cheaper, it's easier to put up, and it will probably leak less than the shingles. M9

Reply to
minerva nine

The building code typically requires a minimum 2:12 (I think) if you double the underlayment. You can go with a single underalyment when your pitch is at least 4:12.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

During a downpour, a 1:12 roof will not let the water flow fast enough and you will get water under the shingles.