Can I use pressure treated wood inside?

He's talking about recycled PT lumber that's several years old. It's as dry as it's going to get.

Reply to
default

"Doug Kanter" dumped this in news:_x0ic.2282$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny on 23 Apr 2004:

I guess this means it is also harmful to pets? I have an enclosure I built under my deck with a deer-proof mesh material (deck is 8' off the ground) so they can go outdoors safely. So the arsenic seeps into the ground, is that how it works?

Reply to
Cheryl

Oh, I get it now. You're just smarter than the rest of us! Let me guess: a Libertarian, huh?

Guesstimates: Couple hundred million square feet of Wolmanized decking out there, built over the last 30-40 years, people walk on it in bare feet and lean on those nasty railings, and I've yet to hear of the grand health epidemic that you theorize. Millions of pool users are not having their feet fall off, nor have the Uncle Joe's and Granpap's of the world developed elbow cancer from spending long hours at the picnic table,

Or maybe those kids don't have a father with his head stuck so far up his ass that they don't get to take a breath? Let me guess, you tell them to push doors open with their elbows and won't let them roast a marshmallow until you've washed the stick?

Paranoid idiot.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

Does that still apply with today's pressure treated wood where they no longer use arsenic in the treatment of the wood?

Reply to
DR, Bob

contacts concrete. So basement framing would require treated lumber for the bottom plates of wall framing if that framing is in contact with concrete. You can also use cedar or redwood for this, at least in our area. I just framed my basement and had to use pt lumber for contact with the concrete floor. This lumber is now less toxic than it was even a few years ago.

Dave

Reply to
DaveG

The experts here say it's safe because it hasn't been proven harmful. Unscientific, but I seem to be outvoted. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

replying to DR, Bob, ganeden wrote: Arsenate IS Arsenic

Reply to
ganeden

replying to Doug Kanter, ganeden wrote: The wood that was treated in the 50's yes, the dark brown often black colored wood. The same wood treated and used as telephone poles throughout the 50's,

60's, 70's and into the 80's. YES, that wood is caustic.

However the new CCA treatment is less caustic, less irritable in consideration to allergies. IT DOES HAVE the CCA process and residue within the fiber of the grain so it SHOULD NOT BE USED as an INTERIOR product. 1 side of the product needs to be to the elements of air, otherwise it WILL MOLD. The CCA treated wood CAN NOT BE USED AS A HEATING SOURCE for it is arsenic based and WILL CAUSE SIDE EFFECTS. look into Boy Scouts of America VS USN

Reply to
ganeden

Unfortunately, Bob has died from Arsenic poisoning because you waited 12 years to point out that "Arsenate IS Arsenic".

So sad. Bob was nice guy.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yeah, too bad he licked that PT wood before CCA was pretty much banned in the US (only used in marine construction and utility poles these days) BTW there are plenty of places where PT is required for interior use. (bottom plates on slabs, window bucks etc) It is usually sequestered inside the wall tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

replying to Doug Kanter, Joep wrote: Sorry to say it but this guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Here is a link where i think you will find all the answers youre looking for.

Just don't go making cutting boards out of it and selling it to your friends.

Reply to
Joep

replying to DR, Bob, bobby runyon wrote: what can I safely use inside of walls

Reply to
bobby runyon

replying to Doug Kanter, dborlando wrote: You are greatly mistaken. The simple answer is pressure-treated lumber can be used in any interior application except cutting boards and countertops. Some have also asked, after they've found pressure-treated lumber installed inside their homes, if there is any danger in having it indoors. The answer is no. Read this:

dborlando