Can I use my existing AC well pump for an irrigation system?

Hello,

I have a well pump that provides water for my AC. Can I use this for an irrigation system?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve Rosenfelt

With out knowing what your trying to do I would say no. Potable water systems (drinking water) are always kept separate from non potable systems.

Reply to
SQLit

Are you saying that the water which is ok for his AC system is NOT ok for the grass??

Just what kind of water would you recommend for his grass??

--James--

With out knowing what your trying to do I would say no. Potable water systems (drinking water) are always kept separate from non potable systems.

Reply to
James Nipper

Thats not what he said.

Since the OP did not give any details it would be impossible to give anything except a general recommendation.

Reply to
George

geothermal heat/cooling pumps around here don't have much water volume nor water pressure through the heat exchangers, not sure how hot/cold that water gets but would thing it be capable to supply a valve feeding a couple bubblers or a drip system for banana's(or such) with a little investigation and thought.

Reply to
bumtracks

He surely did say that the well pump from his AC would not be suitable for watering grass.

He did NOT say what kind of water would be preferred for watering the grass.

Read the post.

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

This is Turtle.

The OP did not spec. out any details and he could have a pump with reinjection of water backinto the ground and any chemical that he has used to clean the heat exchanger out with , will be circulation in the water that you may draw from the system. The new NuCal exchanger acid will do wonders for the taste buds or green grass.

Never reuse water that has been used by a hvac Ground water system without knowing what the water may have in it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Actually, my 3-1/2 ton water source heat pump runs most efficiently at around 10 gallons per minute flow rate, according to the performance charts that came with it.

I am only able to supply it with about 7-1/2 gallons though.

Now Im assuming a refrigerated water source AC system here and that the OP is currently using a "pump and dump" water supply scheme........

IF this is actually the case, I see no reason the waste water couldnt be used for irrigation after having passed through the condensor coil, provided the water quality from the well was acceptable to begin with and the water hasnt been heated to such a high delta temp due to reduced flow rate from any pressure drop at the sprinklers that it injures plant tissues.

Local codes may apply, suggest check with local permitting authorities before proceeding.......

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT