Can I use a vintage rotary pulse dial phone with tone dialing in the house as well?

Page 2 of 2

Hehehehehe! That almost sounds like some of the customers I have dealt with.
Mother's Day was, and probably still is, the busiest day of the year, long distance-wise. It was, and may still be, often difficult to get a direct-dialed call to "go through" on the first attempt on Mother's Day.
You would be surprised to learn the number of folks that call their mother on Mother's Day - and make the call COLLECT!
--
:)
JR

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:13:59 -0500, Jim Redelfs

I remember making a long-distance call from a party line phone (we had just gotten direct dialing for long distance. I'd get a busy signal after just dialing the "1".

Another busy time is just after a popular football game.

Mark Lloyd

Rotary will not work with most call answere supplied thru telco or will it work with most other features as they are tone based. And most modern offices will not work with them either as there call answere is tone based um real live person answeres the phone what do I do
yes......and.....no.

Go for it. :)

Nope. Just take it home, plug it in ANY outlet/jack and USE it. No special arrangements or wiring are needed.
It may, or may not, ring properly depending on how the old rotary set is wired, but that is usually a non-issue.
This, of course, assumes you subscribe to "conventional" telephone service as opposed to VoIP (Vonage, etc). Have fun!
--
:)
JR

Mean Evil Bell System

One additional item:
You might have to dial extra digits depending on what features you have on your account. For example, if you have privacy turned on, so that your number is not displayed, you might have to dial something like 1177 to turn privacy off if the called party doesn't accept private calls. i.e. *xx on pulse dialing becomes 11xx on a rotary phone. While you're checking with your phone company to see if they still support rotary phones, ask about using 11xx to toggle features on and off.
It'll work. just plug it in.

I like this answer the best. I want the phone just for nostalgic/style reasons -- a light blue princess phone from childhood. And it would be nice to have a landline phone that works during a power outage.
Thanks for all your ideas.

That's Princess<r> <grin>
In that case, be sure to install the separate, external power supply so that the dial lights up.
The dial light is user-settable to go completely dark when the handset is hung-up or to emit a nice, muted glow for a night light.
Western Electric sure could build some nice stuff. <sigh>
--
:)
JR

Climb poles and dig holes
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 18:22:14 -0500, Jim Redelfs

"It's little. It's lovely and it lights" or so the ad used to say.
Jim Redelfs wrote:

The older Princesses needed the gray power cube for the dial light, but would work fine without. (Still have a few in the old phone crate, plus one the previous owner left hanging from an abandoned line in basement.) It was sometimes installed near the phone, sometimes in the basement, using Y-B to pass the power. The later Princesses were line powered. Great little cubes, damn near indestructible. Too bad phones are pretty much all they were good for.
aem sends...