Can I use a vintage rotary pulse dial phone with tone dialing in the house as well?

I remember making a long-distance call from a party line phone (we had just gotten direct dialing for long distance. I'd get a busy signal after just dialing the "1".

Another busy time is just after a popular football game.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I was very pleased when we went to 10 digits. It was the first time I could dial out on a modem without it being a long distance call.

They gave metro Atlanta our old 404 area code and surrounding areas took 770 and others.

They should have given the business numbers 404 and residents 770. It was at least a year before people quit dialing the wrong area code.

Reply to
Terry

Going from 7-digit to 10-digit (for all calls) shouldn't affect what is long distance.

When I moved here I kept getting calls meant for some business. They were still coming 15 years later.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Rotary will not work with most call answere supplied thru telco or will it work with most other features as they are tone based. And most modern offices will not work with them either as there call answere is tone based um real live person answeres the phone what do I do

Reply to
jim

Those old phones were usually hard wired into a wall module. Some people would add a large 4 pin plug.

Now you can buy a large block thing that plugs into any modern jack. As you said " with the plastic >thingee that you press to get into the jack" You just connect the wires into that plug, replace the cover and plug into a modern jack. \\

You CAN use a rotaty phone on any modern phone jack as long as they still support "click dialing". Or some rotary phones do use tone.

My mother still has a rotary phone. It's the same phone she had when I was a child (50 years ago). She also has several modern phones, and has replaced every one of them at least once.

Reply to
alvinamorey

Reply to
Mr.Tony to you

alvin, I found an old phone with three wires, red, green, and yellow. I connected the red and green to a regular jack and plugged it in. I could hold a conversation easy enough (very little static considering I taped the ends of the phone wire to the "new fangled" jack). I could not get the phone to ring though. I think I read where you have to ground the phone within the jack with the yellow wire. Do you know how I would do that?

thanks,

snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

Reply to
mailmansam

Yes, connect the yellow on the phone also to the (IIRC) green.

Reply to
M Q

Reply to
mailmansam

That should work but might cause some "imbalance" hum on the line.

The set must be wired for 2-party service.

Another fix would be to rewire the phone for single-party service. That, of course, might require digging-up a long-dead phoneman, reanimating him and asking him to do it. I missed out on that training by about two months back in 1983.

If the doubling-up of the green and yellow leads DOES make a hum on the line, simply run a (earth) ground to the yellow lead. That should cause the phone to ring when called. Have fun!

Reply to
Jim Redelfs