Can I use a vintage rotary pulse dial phone with tone dialing in the house as well?

Page 1 of 2
I am thinking of buying an old rotary dial phone. I understand that I need to have it set up for pulse dialing vs. the more modern tone dialing.
So can one jack be set up the old fashioned way with the phone company or does the entire account need to be set up one way or another?
Thank you. It is easier to post here than to try and call the phone company itself.
J.

have a rotary dial phone. I don't use it often enough to bother replacing it, and I rarely dial out on that phone. It takes nothing special, account-wise.
The jacks are super-easy to install. Your local borg or Radio Shack will have everything you need.

Oh, so it would require installing a special jack? Do you mean the kind of jack that's the modern cord fits into -- with the plastic thingee that you press to get into the jack? This phone I'm thinking of is already adapted for a modern jack.
I was more worried about the pulse vs. touch tone sound issue... have I confused you? I'm getting confused...
Thanks.

Those old phones were usually hard wired into a wall module. Some people would add a large 4 pin plug.
Now you can buy a large block thing that plugs into any modern jack. As you said " with the plastic >thingee that you press to get into the jack" You just connect the wires into that plug, replace the cover and plug into a modern jack. \\
You CAN use a rotaty phone on any modern phone jack as long as they still support "click dialing". Or some rotary phones do use tone.
My mother still has a rotary phone. It's the same phone she had when I was a child (50 years ago). She also has several modern phones, and has replaced every one of them at least once.
That depend what type of service you have

alvin, I found an old phone with three wires, red, green, and yellow. I connected the red and green to a regular jack and plugged it in. I could hold a conversation easy enough (very little static considering I taped the ends of the phone wire to the "new fangled" jack). I could not get the phone to ring though. I think I read where you have to ground the phone within the jack with the yellow wire. Do you know how I would do that?
thanks,
snipped-for-privacy@notmail.com wrote:

mailmansam wrote:

Yes, connect the yellow on the phone also to the (IIRC) green.
your the greatest. thanks very much!!
M Q wrote:

That should work but might cause some "imbalance" hum on the line.
The set must be wired for 2-party service.
Another fix would be to rewire the phone for single-party service. That, of course, might require digging-up a long-dead phoneman, reanimating him and asking him to do it. I missed out on that training by about two months back in 1983.
If the doubling-up of the green and yellow leads DOES make a hum on the line, simply run a (earth) ground to the yellow lead. That should cause the phone to ring when called. Have fun!
--
:)
JR

Climb poles and dig holes
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

You can't have just one jack set up differently, but it's common to have the phone system accept both tone and pulse dialing. Common, but not universal, some newer systems have dropped support for pulse dial.
Personally, I have VOIP at home, and can't take pulse dialing. The old rotary phone still works fine for answering, I just can't use it to dial out. And if I leave its ringer turned on, caller ID doesn't work on the modern phones.
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/

Also, some old rotary phones were setup for party lines. In order to get them to ring on single lines you have to make a small wiring change inside the phone. It's easy to do but I haven't done it in awhile and don't recall where on the internet I found the information -- a bit of Googling was all it took.
On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 06:06:08 -0400, "The Streets"

We were on a party line when I was young. I picked up the phone one day and a neighbor was ranting to the phone company.
He said........If I can't talk to my mother on Mother's day, you can just come get this GD phone!
It will be in the front yard when you get here!

I had a party line in the duplex I rented in 1984, It may still be that way. The owner had a party line on both sides of the duplex with different phone numbers but it was the same line. He was probably the only guy in that area that had a party line.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not only were we on party line, still had the old rotary crank to "central" and maintained own lines up to branch point near town where connected to their lines.
I remember distinctly first time in grade school need to call home and having to ask how to use the high-falutin' dial phone -- didn't have a clue of our number, just "long-short" for us, "two shorts for grandparents, various other combinations for the other roughly half-dozen farmsteads...
When we came back to the farm after Dad died unexpectedly in '99, discovered they were still paying the rental for the old dial phones which were the originals in the house since about '80-81 and return springs so sprung had to manually turn them back. All that rent paid over the years and didn't even ask for new ones when those wore out--I suppose because the old square black units probably weren't available any longer and didn't want any of that "new-fangled" stuff... :)

And........they weighed a ton.
I lived in Watts Bar TN in 1980. You could still get your party by dialing a 4 digit number. It might still be that way.
Actually the town is called Ten Mile.
http://maps.google.com/maps?num 0&hl=en&safe=off&resnum=0&q=watts+bar+tn&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl
I just looked at the overhead using Google and not much looks changed.
Terry wrote:

Kewl!! I was in Oak Ridge for about 26 years, last 8-10 working at EPRI I&C Center built in conjunction w/ TVA at Kingston Fossil. Just met a gal here from Harriman who moved out w/ her husband a few years ago w/ Seaboard (pigs). Hearing her TN twang was music... :)

It was 5 digits here (east Texas, in a small town where all numbers used the same "first 3 digits"). That changed to 7 digits around 1990 when they switched to ESS and 10 digits around 2004 with the new "overlay" area code.
BTW, I still haven't heard of anyone using that new area code, but we still have to dial 10 digits.
BTW2, I bought a washer and dryer last year in an old store. The salesman asked my phone number and wrote down 5 digits.

Mark Lloyd
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:48:01 -0500, Mark Lloyd

could dial out on a modem without it being a long distance call.
They gave metro Atlanta our old 404 area code and surrounding areas took 770 and others.
They should have given the business numbers 404 and residents 770. It was at least a year before people quit dialing the wrong area code.

Going from 7-digit to 10-digit (for all calls) shouldn't affect what is long distance.

When I moved here I kept getting calls meant for some business. They were still coming 15 years later.

Mark Lloyd
on 10/9/2007 7:58 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

I miss the days when, if the person you were calling had the same prefix number, you only had to dial the last 4 numbers.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY