can i use a miter saw for pavers?

hi there,

i have a series of projects that need to be finished up by 7/4 and my wife has given me permission to spend the money to buy a miter saw for the wood trim for the flooring and the crown molding. my question is that can i use one of those 10" miter saws to cut those 4x6 45mm thick Holland pavers?

if i rent a tile saw, it'll cut into my miter saw budget so i'm trying to get by. i know that you use diamond blades for cutting pavers but do they make them to fit these miter machines?

thanks!

Reply to
johnchampion

Inches and mm in the same spec??? 4"x6" 45mm

I'd hate to cut pavers dry. Most miter saws are not sealed well enough to work wet but you might consider it disposable and go ahead anyway ( a cleaver splatter guard might make it workable). However, with a diamond blade it does satisfy the basic requirements for cutting. Check the Arbor size on your saw and also on the blade. If it is the same it will go on the saw.

Do that project last in case it is a disaster for the saw.

Reply to
PipeDown

It would likely cut it, but I don't know how many it would cut before it destroyed itself.

I suggest your rent a wet saw for the job.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Helluva way to ruin your brand new miter saw! I'm sure it'd work for a while but it's not designed for that and will not last long. I broke down and bought a cheap wet saw from Harbor Freight to do my brick projects and it's worked great. I think it was around $189 which in the grand scheme of things is not much (certainly a lot cheaper than buying two miter saws --- one to replace the trashed one). The other option is to rent but I prefer to own something so I'm not under too much time crunch on the bigger projects. It would have cost me at least 2-3 times as much in rental fees for a wet saw on my last project vs. buying the HF saw (Kiva fireplace). Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Sure can. Only thing you'll need is a new miter saw when you are done.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Harbor freight, buy both. Granted it will not be contractor grade. My stuff works just fine for the 1-2 times a year I pull them out for projects.

Reply to
SQLit

ok...point taken. thanks everyone. i'm sorry if it seemed silly but i honestly didn't know the answer before now.

Reply to
johnchampion

If you use a dry saw also connect an electric leaf blower to blow the gritty dust away from your new miter saw.

Reply to
tmurf.1

You need her permission? We would then assume she brings in the primary income. no? Does she decide when you can have a beer?

Show her this.

my question is

As others have said...Um, it's a really bad idea.

Reply to
3rd eye

Can't you just cut them with a hammer and chisel, like bricks?

Reply to
Goedjn

uhm...i get her permission out of respect. i expect no less of her.

and i get my own beer because i'm the only one that knows which ones are the fresh ones and which are the old ones that i give to company, so remember that when you come over and i offer you one.

Reply to
johnchampion