Can I tile over an acrylic shower pan?

I recently ripped out a 30x 60 tub and put in a 34 x 60 acrylic shower pan. I am going to tile the walls but I am wondering if I can tile over the shower pan and curb as well.
thanks for your help.
mike
On 16 Feb 2007 14:10:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No. IMHO.
-- Oren

Care to elaborate? Can I not just apply floor leveler to deal with the "slip resistant florr" and then mortar over that? I truly don't know, but don't understand why not...
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I would also say no. Too little adhesion (to the acrylic) and too much flexing. It might survive if you get everything totally perfect but that's not a realistic proposition, IMO. I think you'll have cracking problems within a year or two (maybe sooner) and regret the decision.
Heck, follow this newsgroup for a while -- folks are reporting shower pan problems and leaks every day or two. If yours starts to leak, you'll have to wait in line ;-)
In any event, we'll all just say... "Told you so!"
On Feb 16, 2:58 pm, snipped-for-privacy@malch.com (Malcolm Hoar) wrote:

I don't think I'd have any problem with a shower pan leaking whether I tile it or not. This is a pre fab shower pan so the primary cause of it leaking is if it cracks and the odds of that seem roughly the same, tile or no tile. But I understand your point about flexing which would crack the grout. So I'd likely end up with cracked grout and loose tile in a non-leaking shower pan. Not good.
Thanks for your help.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I wouldn't bet on it. When the tiles and grout are cracked, even minor water splashes are sucked into the cracks by capilliary action. It doesn't take much to start causing problems, including mold.
I really like (nice) tiling. It's attractive and very durable. But if the tiles are not fixed to a really sound, solid surface, it usually ends up a disaster.

Exactly.
you could drill holes in the acrylic pan fill with sanded cement or plaster of paris. install water proofing membrane then tile over
if it were me I would replace the existing pan with copper pan.
|> I wouldn't bet on it. When the tiles and grout are cracked,| > even minor water splashes are sucked into the cracks by | > capilliary action. It doesn't take much to start causing | > problems, including mold. | > | > I really like (nice) tiling. It's attractive and very | > durable. But if the tiles are not fixed to a really | > sound, solid surface, it usually ends up a disaster. | | Exactly. | |
On 16 Feb 2007 14:33:22 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Given my size; these pans flex, just taking a shower. I also see, because I have removed these pans they are questionably attached to the shower walls. Your leveler in this context will not adhere to the pan. It will give; further breaking down tile and grout.
-- Oren
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison
On Feb 16, 5:10 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

They seem to flex too much to hold tile even if you could get them to adhere well,