Can I tile my countertop, and undermount a sink?

I apologize if this is too obviously, "no way". But:

I'm intending to tile my countertop in granite. Undermounted sinks are nifty ... but is doing that, as hard as I think it would be (lots of cuts for a lip; getting the corners right)? My local HD cuts granite for $1, so that's not so big a factor. But the edges would still be sharp ... ?

Thanks, JSH

Reply to
Julie

Might want to consider a "tile-in" sink. No lip to deal with, square corners. Are you seriously thinking of having HD make all your cuts for the counter?

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

I'll look into the tile-ins, I thought they were for ceramic only.

My counter is a 10'-long, 24"-deep rectangle, with a sink in it. Two more 13" by 24" sections. So, not overly complicated - will only need cuts for the sink, the sections, and a backsplash. Is there a reason I shouldn't have the cuts done at HD?

JSH

Reply to
Julie

And its got perfect 90 degree corners and its exactly 10'? You going to do this yourself on what kind of substrate? In my experience, there isn't a home built with square corners, flat walls, and straight runs. Expecting HD supplied material to be of exact dimensions and not test fitting with a dry layout is just asking for problems. Rent a saw, granite that thin is easy to cut.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca

"Grandpa Koca" wrote

Even better, two of the corners are hidden underneath a higher overlapping ledge. Built in '85, so things aren't too bad (yes, I've checked). Need to pull the existing laminate 'top first, then will put down 3/4" plywood + hardibacker + a molding strip.

The tile will come from somewhere else (I live a few miles from a road with, seriously, about 20 tile/stone/etc shops. Home Improvement Row, it would seem.), and frankly I'd expect the tile guy at HD to have a better shot at straight cuts than me.

Yes, I'd already planned on laying it out dry! Not as stupid as I sound. really.

I might, yet.

Those local stone shops want $7-10 a cut, while HD wants $1 (and I've seen the guy who does the cuts; his work seems good to me, while I'd be a novice cutter). Between the mess and fuss of a wet saw, the HD option doesn't seem so bad.

JSH

Reply to
Julie

Well, I'd check into that real close. Usually, the $1 per cut is for material purchased from the store, not what you bring in. I'd be surprised if they did, but then if they do ... well I wouldn't blame you for buying that for a dollar.

Reply to
Grandpa Koca