Can I tile my countertop, and undermount a sink?

I apologize if this is too obviously, "no way". But:
I'm intending to tile my countertop in granite. Undermounted sinks are nifty ... but is doing that, as hard as I think it would be (lots of cuts for a lip; getting the corners right)? My local HD cuts granite for $1, so that's not so big a factor. But the edges would still be sharp ... ?
Thanks, JSH
Julie wrote:

Might want to consider a "tile-in" sink. No lip to deal with, square corners. Are you seriously thinking of having HD make all your cuts for the counter?
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
To send me email, see: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca /

I'll look into the tile-ins, I thought they were for ceramic only.
My counter is a 10'-long, 24"-deep rectangle, with a sink in it. Two more 13" by 24" sections. So, not overly complicated - will only need cuts for the sink, the sections, and a backsplash. Is there a reason I shouldn't have the cuts done at HD?
JSH
Julie wrote:

do this yourself on what kind of substrate? In my experience, there isn't a home built with square corners, flat walls, and straight runs. Expecting HD supplied material to be of exact dimensions and not test fitting with a dry layout is just asking for problems. Rent a saw, granite that thin is easy to cut.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
To send me email, see: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca /

Even better, two of the corners are hidden underneath a higher overlapping ledge. Built in '85, so things aren't too bad (yes, I've checked). Need to pull the existing laminate 'top first, then will put down 3/4" plywood + hardibacker + a molding strip.

The tile will come from somewhere else (I live a few miles from a road with, seriously, about 20 tile/stone/etc shops. Home Improvement Row, it would seem.), and frankly I'd expect the tile guy at HD to have a better shot at straight cuts than me.
Yes, I'd already planned on laying it out dry! Not as stupid as I sound. really.

I might, yet.
Those local stone shops want $7-10 a cut, while HD wants $1 (and I've seen the guy who does the cuts; his work seems good to me, while I'd be a novice cutter). Between the mess and fuss of a wet saw, the HD option doesn't seem so bad.
JSH
Julie wrote:

Well, I'd check into that real close. Usually, the $1 per cut is for material purchased from the store, not what you bring in. I'd be surprised if they did, but then if they do ... well I wouldn't blame you for buying that for a dollar.
--
Grandpa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
To send me email, see: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca /
at least rent a saw... that way you can make a LOT of mistakes for "free"...