Can I shorten existing radiator?

We are redoing our Kitchen and I would like to move the fridge to a different location. This would put the fridge in front of a forced hot water floor radiator. It seems like it would not be a good idea to be pumping hot air into the bottom back of the fridge. From memory I'd guess the radiator is 1/2" or 3/4" copper with metal fins on it to disperse heat. There is a 5" - 6" tall metal plate that covers the length of fins. Can these radiators be shortened by cutting the pipe, remove some fins near the end, and sweat a new copper elbow on, Then adjust and reconnect the plumbing under the floor.

Or would I have to buy and install a new section that was made to the new shorter length?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

Lots of options exist for you. If you remove some of the heat exchanger, you won't get as efficient a heat transfer into the room. If you need the heat, you can replace the heat exchanger with a different type, perhaps one that is taller and less wide. Granger has a catalog that you can peruse.

Alternatively, you can simply cut off the aluminum fins where you don't want the heat. The copper that's left won't radiate very much, but if that bothers you, go to Home Depot and get that foam pipe insulation and stick it around the copper.

Alternatiively, you can cut the pipe and remove some of the finned section. If the heat exchanger is made by Slant/Fin, the pipe is a non-standard size. I can't remember if it's bigger or smaller, but you may have to get or make a special fitting to do the reduction. I remember doing this once and made a fitting out of a copper block, using a milling machine. Wasn't too hard to do. But you need the copper stock and mill.Maybe a drill press would work.

Rock

Reply to
Rock

Steve,

The answer to your question is YES. The size of the pipe is a STANDARD 3/4" and can be cut and plumbed with STANDARD 3/4" copper pipe.

-paul

Reply to
Paul Flansburg