Can I saw a lock off from the outside with a saws-all (or is there a better way)?

There's another tool you probably have lying around.

When you use your shotgun to open a door, do not aim at the lock itself; aim for the locking mechanism inside the door. That is, point the barrel at a severe angle to destroy the mechanism, not the door knob.

There was a segment on "Mythbusters" about what type of gun was necessary to destroy padlocks and deadbolts. The fools shot all manner of weapons at the door lock with almost no success (until they got up to the howitzer level). If their goal was to gain entry - instead of destroying locks - they should have tried to shoot THROUGH the door into the mechanical part of the lock instead of the face of the doggone thing.

Reply to
HeyBub

Another solution is to drive a large square shank screwdriver into the key slot. Then turn the screwdriver with a pair of vise grips. Rips the tumbler pins off.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Ned Flanders wrote in news:3myQo.6610$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe02.iad:

WRT teaching others how to burgle; I first heard of "bump keys" on a local TV news program. then I searched wiki and what I found really worried me. the Net is a powerful tool,but it can be misused by the criminally inclined.

this quote applies to more than just firearms,replace "guns" with information;

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding."

---------- Jeff Snyder

Reply to
Jim Yanik

They probably already know . Perhaps the best solution to his problem is call the neighborhood juvenile delinquent. :)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

There's another tool you probably have lying around.

When you use your shotgun to open a door, do not aim at the lock itself; aim for the locking mechanism inside the door. That is, point the barrel at a severe angle to destroy the mechanism, not the door knob.

There was a segment on "Mythbusters" about what type of gun was necessary to destroy padlocks and deadbolts. The fools shot all manner of weapons at the door lock with almost no success (until they got up to the howitzer level). If their goal was to gain entry - instead of destroying locks - they should have tried to shoot THROUGH the door into the mechanical part of the lock instead of the face of the doggone thing.

I have opened several doors with this type of lock by using a pipe wrench on the knob and just twisting the knob off. Either the door will open when the knob is twisted or the knob will twist off giving access to the unlocking shaft inside the lock. The last time I did this I used a pair of long nosed pliers to twist the unlock shaft. Elgy

Reply to
ELGY