can I remove this vent coming out of our roof?

Going to get a new roof put on (I hope!) Anyway I thought I would try to locate any vents that are "dead" so that we could just pull them out.
I found this vent coming out of the AC return duct that goes up and through the roof. A lot of warm air was going out this vent! But the roofer couldn't understand why there would be such a vent, and neither can I. The air coming from the house and through the return ducting isn't all that hot.
If you are willing to offer your advice, please check out this webpage which has a couple of pictures of the vent from inside the attic.
http://procyonlotor1.tripod.com/acvent /
(sorry if this you get any popups when you visit this page.)
spoon2001 wrote:

as a whole-house ventilation system when the A/C is off. Thus the damper.
Jim
On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 14:57:17 GMT, "spoon2001"

to provide a fresh air inlet. You might want to ask your AC repairman, but I'd be inclined to remove it and block the opening in the duct.
HTH,
Paul

I suggest you call a pro and have them look at the installation. I do not know where your located, if you were in swamp cooler country, it could make some sense except for the damper handle installed that way. My SWAG is that they had a whole house fan ventilator before the a/c when in.
If it's in the return duct, then air isn't going out, it's coming in. I agree with the poster that said with the damper, it looks like a way to use the blower to bring fresh air into the house when the damper is open and only the blower is running, not furnace/AC. I'd get rid of that setup pronto. Hopefully the damper was closed, cause if it were open, you'd be sucking in a lot of outside air while trying to heat or cool. And it looks totally impractical, as to fool with it, you have to go into the attic and it's very easy to leave the damper open and forget about it. And for what benefit? If you want some fresh air that way, just open a window!

Unless it's a sealed home and that's the fresh air intake, or it's used to create a positive pressure in the house somehow. But it does look diy, that's fer sure.
I would check the HVAC tech forum on that one the roof part is ez